Frode Hanøy
Norway
flag msg tools
So I am considering using Arryn as the 7th playable house for our AGOT sessions. However, I have some concerns about it, which I hope you guys can help with shedding some light on. I have mainly looked at the map overlay and start setup as explained in this fan version:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/97270/t6-rules-6p-7p-agot

So if you have used that one, or if you have used another version, please say so

Main concerns:
1) Bara is already very starved for supply. Even if you add a few more areas and so in the map overlay, having Arryn as a new neighbour on the Vale is making things considerably worse for bara in terms of supply vicinity. (bara will have to fight hard with lanni and tyrell over blackwater.. Which won't be easy.) THIS is my biggest gripe.

2) Will this make it too hard for Stark to compete? No longer has a easy way to expand down onto the Vale.

3) GJ is already the strongest house in the game, and having Arryn included will put a toll on both Stark and Baratheon, making it even easier for GJ..

Aside from those major balance concerns, then you have Arryn itself. To me they seem kind of lackluster. Position 6 on throne, 5 on sword and 4 on crow? Not great really..

I think there should be a supply at Cracklaw Point in 7p AGOT. For example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frode Hanøy
Norway
flag msg tools
huh, thought more had experience with this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry, not particularly active on the forums here, but I do have experience playing 7 player with an Arryn overlay I created myself (although it is based on the one you can get from this website). I actually played it on Saturday too, so its fresh in my memory!

The first time we played we used the same set-up as you mention above, with the original Arryn cards. However the 2 or 3 times since I have used different rules for the Alayne Stone card, as we found her to be too swingy otherwise. I also improved Arryn's positions on the tracks to be more in line with where I think they should be thematically (and for balance). So I place them at 5 on the throne, 4 on the sword and 3 on the raven.

I would say that I enjoy the game equally with 7 as I do with 6. There are advantages and disadvantages, but I think if I had to choose one to play I would go with 7, simply because I've played a lot more 6 player and 7 mixes it up a lot!

To answer your concerns:

1) Arryn does create more headaches for Baratheon. However we always found Baratheon to be one of the easier houses to play in the regular game, and their strategy of rushing to get to the blackwater I think isn't influenced by Arryn, as generally Arryn will fight for Cracklaw and then, if they're feeling particularly confident, King's Landing or Harrenhal.

2) We've had games where Stark has won after competing in only 2 or 3 battles all game. I've always found this to be one of the weaknesses in the 6 player game, as Stark are only pressured if either Greyjoy or Baratheon get particularly bold. Now they need to be prepared for aggression from turn 1 or 2, which is exactly what all the other houses expect. So I think this is a definite improvement.

3) I disagree that this helps Greyjoy. They do have the strongest cards, but my experience of who wins 6 player games puts Greyjoy as a middle-tier house. Maybe 3rd or 4th best. I always found that for Greyjoy to have an easy/hard game depends heavily on Lannister and Stark. A weak Stark will allow Greyjoy to pummel Lannister, so adding in Arryn I think actually helps this situation as it throws a third party in the mix. Arryn can lend much needed support to Stark, Lannister or Greyjoy in that crucial Seagard region, so any extra interaction there is welcome.

Just to note, Arryn won our last game If you have any questions or follow-up I'd be happy to talk about it more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frode Hanøy
Norway
flag msg tools
wow thanks for the great reply! Just what I was looking for Firing off a few more questions then!

Was planning on maybe buying a spare set of AGOT, and just paint a set of pieces in blue, and just put the Arryn logos onto the order tokens etc from the spare set. How did you do it?

Mind sharing the overlay you are using?

So you have altered some of the official house cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Oliveira
msg tools
I have played a 7p game without the overlay. In my experience, playing without the objective cards, it can be pretty hard for Arryn without the overlay. Because they have only one Castle and no port, so if they lose their sea area, they are pretty much done. Also, their cards are fairly weak for a normal game. I've bought a second copy of the game and painted a lot of units for new houses. I also used stickers to the order tokens and it's worth it! Adds a lot of immersion to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So I didn't really do too much when it comes to the tokens/pieces. I coloured my Tyrell order tokens and power tokens with blue round the edges, and made the Tyrell army pieces blue on top. The influence tracks, barrel etc. I made blue (Arryn) on one side and remain the same (Tyrell) on the other. This was so I could still play 6 player games with my own components.

Whenever I play 7 player I am generally playing with someone else who owns the game, so I just ask them to bring over their Tyrell stuff. A friend of mine actually ordered blue Arryn army pieces online (I can ask him where if you are interested), so we use those whenever he comes along instead of my weird blue/green hyrbid ones!

The overlay I could potentially take a pic of when I get home, but it's entirely home made - I ended up with a second board because my original was warped and FFG kindly sent me a replacement. So I cut up pieces of the warped board and stuck them onto the Arryn section to make my own overlay. It basically adds in a sea section and a couple of extra regions with Castles/Strongholds to give Arryn a natural expansion. As Hans said, playing without the overlay would make it almost impossible for Arryn.

The Arryn cards I use are the same ones from Feast for Crows, but I changed the text for the Alayne Stone card as we found in our first game it was too punishing. As all my cards are sleeved, it simply meant I put some paper in over the text and wrote my own in its place!
I have basically given her the ability of Aeron from the Dance with Dragons expansion (discard power tokens to add as strength, max 4). This makes her a powerful card, but nowhere near as punishing as her original incarnation which would make someone discard all their power tokens.

The only other card in the game we alter in this way is Catelyn Stark, where I give her the ability that if she wins a combat you can muster 1 in any castle or stronghold. Otherwise she is entirely useless.

Lannister I also replace with some cards from Dance with Dragons (Adam for Kevan, Qyburn for Cersei), just to give them some extra help.

However I realise the last two paragraphs don't really relate to the 7 player game, just thought you might be interested how I choose to play the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.