Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giles Pound
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working (on & off for the last year) on a card driven AI solo variant for Cornish Smuggler. It supports 2 AI opponents to challenge the solo gamer, although 2 players could use the system without any game changes. The system was conceived to allow the AI to make gameplay decisions something akin to a human player. It does require some simple book keeping on behalf of the AI but isnt too overwhelming. I've played 20+ Games and have made changes, as it's evolved, to improve smooth running. 2 AI smugglers make for a more competative game, closely recreating a live game against real opponents.

If any Cornish Smugglers out there fancy trying this AI variant, drop me a PM and I'll send the rules outline and AI cards files. I think it's pretty much ready enough for someone else to try it out, see how it plays out & feed back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, how's this going?

I've just won a copy of the game in the Maths trade and, since I play predominantly solo, I came straight here to see if anyone had published a solitaire variant yet. Lo and behold, someone's working on what sounds like a very well thought out one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pound
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Lee

There are a number of Smugglers that are trying out the rule set/AI cards. I've found that it plays pretty well although I'm still working on integrating the secrets cards more effectively into AI game play. I think fresh eyes will help fine tune things, so I'm waiting on feedback from those folks testing things out for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear. Yeah, development and playtesting is a vastly underrated part of game design, I'm looking forward to trying this once the process is over and you're happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn Hill
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. I'd be interested when you're ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pound
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Dawn. PM your preferred e-mail address to me and I'll send the AI card files over to you so you can give them a whirl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gazery Pooh
msg tools
mbmb
Any news on this? As after a holiday down in Cornwall, I spotted this game in a National Trust shop and had to get it. It looks great but I often struggle to get groups together to play and so solo rules will be a massive boon to me.

Cheers Gazery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pound
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Gazery If you fancy test running the double AI for Cornish Smuggler, PM me your email address and I'll send you the current draft of the AI cards & rules. There has already been a number of folks taken me up on this and I'd welcome any feedback to help develop/improve the AI mechanic for this great game

Cheers

Giles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Giles, I now have a copy of this and I'm waiting for a good solitaire variant before I play it. If you're still wanting feedback in 2017 let me know (assuming you'd value feedback from someone that's never played the game multiplayer), unfortunately, due to starting a new job, moving house and family stuff I can't offer any of my time before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.