Subject: Terminology question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Scythe, one type of resource is called "resource". What should we say when we mean resources in general? E.g. the starting resources you get from your player mat. The same question applies to Euphoria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mh, in my game the resources are called: food, wood, metal, oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:

Yes, but there are other resources in the game: money, power and popularity. If the rules had not used the word "resource" for those you mention, we could just have called them all "resources". But since they do, we can't. So for example, if I want to discuss the starting resources you get from your player mat, someone might, quite rightly, point out that they are not "resources" as the game uses the term. But what else to call them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, this is a good question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could call it "starting resources". Since nobody starts the game with food, iron, oil or food, it would be a clear enough distinction. Besides, that would be a different term anyway, as "starting resources" is different than "resources".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, this is a good question.

It would be if it mattered. "Stuff" works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
I think you could call it "starting resources". Since nobody starts the game with food, iron, oil or food, it would be a clear enough distinction. Besides, that would be a different term anyway, as "starting resources" is different than "resources".

Yes, for that specifically. But how would you fill out the blank in "Popularity is the most important ____ in the game"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about starting 'assets'? It really only matters at the beginning of the game, but could work to lump your beginning Power, Combat Cards, Popularity, Coins and Objectives...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few terms that jump to mind...
Commodities
Goods
Items...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to call them currencies. Money, popularity, power and combat cards are all different things you can trade in or spend during the game for various things (usually requires a factory card to do so directly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JumboCactaur wrote:
I tend to call them currencies. Money, popularity, power and combat cards are all different things you can trade in or spend during the game for various things (usually requires a factory card to do so directly).

How is that different from the metal you need to spend to get a mech?

From within the concept of the game, things like Power, Popularity, and Combat cards are "intangible" resources. They don't go on the map. Not sure it would work in a discussion about resources, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostradunwhich wrote:
JumboCactaur wrote:

How is that different from the metal you need to spend to get a mech?

From within the concept of the game, things like Power, Popularity, and Combat cards are "intangible" resources. They don't go on the map. Not sure it would work in a discussion about resources, however.

I feel like the point of this thread isn't really to come up with a word that encompasses only certain commodities in the game while leaving others out. We've already established that the game term 'resources' could also encompass money, power etc... What's being asked here is suggestions for a word to describe the commodities in the game that are not food, oil, iron or wood. With that in mind, 'currencies' would work fine. Or at least as well as many of the other suggestions already mentioned in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
I feel like the point of this thread isn't really to come up with a word that encompasses only certain commodities in the game while leaving others out.

Why yes. I somehow got it turned around. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pu pooh
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:
ZdadrDeM wrote:

Yes, but there are other resources in the game: money, power and popularity. If the rules had not used the word "resource" for those you mention, we could just have called them all "resources". But since they do, we can't. So for example, if I want to discuss the starting resources you get from your player mat, someone might, quite rightly, point out that they are not "resources" as the game uses the term. But what else to call them?

Another term that you can use instead of "resources" would be influences (from Tiny Epic Galaxy/Western). Power is something that can influence the outcome of a battle and Popularity influences how favorable the general population is of your leadership (this your end game scoring). Money is a big motivator of most things and can influence many things including trade, production and bolstering.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.