Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
My friend and I have a few questions about how to implement Admiral Valdore's ability to attack an enemy ship from an adjacent location:

1.) Can Adm. Valdore's ship engage in a joint attack with a ship in the same adjacent location as the enemy ship being targeted?

2.) Does a card that allows an attacked ship to counter-attack (such as Klingon's "Return Fire" or Federation's "Picard Maneuver") work if Adm. Valdore's ship is attacking from an adjacent location.

3.) Does the Romulan "Defiance" command card work when Adm. Valdore attacks from an adjacent location? If so, does it apply to the Valdore's location or the target's ocation?

4.) combining 2 and 3: Can "Defiance" be used if a Klingon uses "Return Fire" to attack Adm. Valdore's ship from an adjacent location? If so, which tiles influence is applied?

5.) Can Adm. Valdore's ship attack an installation from an adjacent location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good questions. I don't suppose you could post the exact text from the card in question? It might help getting you the answers you seek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Admiral Valdore's cared text:
Quote:
"CAPTAIN: This ship may initiate combat from a location adjacent to the target."

That's all it says, besides some flavor text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all of course just my opinions.

MegaBearsFan wrote:
My friend and I have a few questions about how to implement Admiral Valdore's ability to attack an enemy ship from an adjacent location:

1.) Can Adm. Valdore's ship engage in a joint attack with a ship in the same adjacent location as the enemy ship being targeted?
Judging from the rules for combined attacks, I would say yes.

MegaBearsFan wrote:
2.) Does a card that allows an attacked ship to counter-attack (such as Klingon's "Return Fire" or Federation's "Picard Maneuver") work if Adm. Valdore's ship is attacking from an adjacent location.
Another reason for seeing card text. I can't recall exactly what these cards say, but I would say no in this case. There is no reason why these cards should suddenly grant the ability to fire out of their hex, just because of Admiral Valdore's ability.

MegaBearsFan wrote:
3.) Does the Romulan "Defiance" command card work when Adm. Valdore attacks from an adjacent location? If so, does it apply to the Valdore's location or the target's location?
<<insert card text here>>

MegaBearsFan wrote:
4.) combining 2 and 3: Can "Defiance" be used if a Klingon uses "Return Fire" to attack Adm. Valdore's ship from an adjacent location? If so, which tiles influence is applied?
I think not, as per my reasoning for #2.

MegaBearsFan wrote:
5.) Can Adm. Valdore's ship attack an installation from an adjacent location?
I would say no, as according to the rules, combat is an opposed test between two ships. Attacking an installation is not exactly the same thing, as there is no roll for the installation, but simply a flat number to beat. So it is not opposed, nor is it between two ships, so it is not combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
All sound like good rulings, and pretty much the same conclusions that we had come to.

Hoya wrote:

MegaBearsFan wrote:
3.) Does the Romulan "Defiance" command card work when Adm. Valdore attacks from an adjacent location? If so, does it apply to the Valdore's location or the target's location?
<<insert card text here>>

Defiance card reads:
Quote:
"COMBAT: +1 Weapons or +2 Shields for each friendly control token in this location.

INFLUENCE ACTION: You may take this action even if one or more enemy ships are in this location."

I would assume that this applies to the target location, but I can see it going either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing "Defiance" when Adm Valdore is attacking alone, it would look at the friendly control tokens in Valodore's Ship's location. If joining a Combat with a Ship nearby, I would say you would look at control tokens in either location, but not both.

I think perhaps only one Ship in one hex could benefit from Defiance, not both, even though you add all their Weapons together anyway when attacking. You should not be able to get double benefit from Defiance just because Adm Valdore allows attacking from more than one hex. (I think)

And of course, trying for the Shield bonus would only affect one Ship anyway, so you would only count tokens from one hex, whichever Ship you wanted to have the benefit.

(Sure hope I got all of that right.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.