$35.00
Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
My friend and I had a confusion about how, and against whom interrupt cards can be played. Specifically, can an interrupt card be played to modify an opponent's ship's system?

The specific case was: my friend wanted to play "Sensor Hack" in order to perform an attack against my ship using my ship's sensor ratings as a replacement for his ship's weapons rating. Once the opposed test begins, he then wanted to play the interrupt card "Modified Torpedo" on my ship in order to raise my ship's sensor rating by 4. A similar effect could also be reached by playing Sensor Hack along with "Emergency Power" to boost the target ship's sensor rating.

Are these legal moves? Or can you only play an interrupt card on your own ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MegaBearsFan wrote:
My friend and I had a confusion about how, and against whom interrupt cards can be played. Specifically, can an interrupt card be played to modify an opponent's ship's system?

The specific case was: my friend wanted to play "Sensor Hack" in order to perform an attack against my ship using my ship's sensor ratings as a replacement for his ship's weapons rating. Once the opposed test begins, he then wanted to play the interrupt card "Modified Torpedo" on my ship in order to raise my ship's sensor rating by 4. A similar effect could also be reached by playing Sensor Hack along with "Emergency Power" to boost the target ship's sensor rating.

Are these legal moves? Or can you only play an interrupt card on your own ship?

There are almost no interrupt cards that directly affect an opponent's ships, unless they say so. They will be very clear in saying so, when they can do that. I believe, without seeing the text from the cards you are asking about, that those cards cannot be used to directly affect opponent's ships.

As I mentioned in your other question, although it might be a pain to do it, it helps others answer your questions better if you post the exact text of whatever thing you are asking about. It is more likely you have the cards handy, since you are asking, than it is that someone else will go digging through their game to find the cards. Some might, but other might not. Posting the text is always better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Hoya wrote:

As I mentioned in your other question, although it might be a pain to do it, it helps others answer your questions better if you post the exact text of whatever thing you are asking about. It is more likely you have the cards handy, since you are asking, than it is that someone else will go digging through their game to find the cards. Some might, but other might not. Posting the text is always better.

I didn't actually have the cards in front of me when I posted these questions. I made notes of the questions while we were playing, and then posted the topics later, after the game was put away. I will try to quote the relevant cards in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did say it was "more likely" you had the cards handy, not "certain" you have the cards handy.

It can be a complicated game, with all the interactions of rules and cards. It just makes it easier for answerers to sound intelligent (not me of course) if they can see the card text before offering opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.