9 Posts

World in Flames» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniele Micozzi
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi,it's the first time I write in this forum, I'm a WiF player from many years but I still have some doubts that I hope you can clear.

1 If Japan is at war with the CW at the Vichy creation turn, the CW can invade Madagascar in the next impulse. In this case Japan cannot align Madagascar becouse there is an allied corp there and he cannot even send any corps there becouse he's not allowed to enter in any Vichy territories.
Can Japan do anything to prevent the allied conquer of Madagascar?

2 Don't you find wrong that an aircraft with a range 2 can fly in a sea area and the next impulse it can land in a hex too far for his normal range (example Malta and Gibraltar).

Thank you!

PS
I hope my English is understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ducadan81 wrote:
Hi,it's the first time I write in this forum, I'm a WiF player from many years but I still have some doubts that I hope you can clear.

1 If Japan is at war with the CW at the Vichy creation turn, the CW can invade Madagascar in the next impulse. In this case Japan cannot align Madagascar becouse there is an allied corp there and he cannot even send any corps there becouse he's not allowed to enter in any Vichy territories.
Can Japan do anything to prevent the allied conquer of Madagascar?

2 Don't you find wrong that an aircraft with a range 2 can fly in a sea area and the next impulse it can land in a hex too far for his normal range (example Malta and Gibraltar).

Thank you!

PS
I hope my English is understandable.

You're English is infinitely better than my Italian!

On (1), the CW has to be at war with VICHY FRANCE to land in a Vichy controlled Madagascar. Doesn't matter that they're at war with Japan at the moment Vichy is created. Since the DOW step happens earlier in the turn than Vichy creation, in practice that means the CW has one impulse to declare war on Vichy and invade/occupy Madagascar to prevent Japan from aligning Madagascar at its first opportunity. Nothing Japan can do if the CW is determined to prevent this.

Of course, there is a US entry penalty for the CW declaring war on Vichy, not to mention meaning Vichy will be active and the Germans can use the Vichy navy...

On (2), yes it is legal but can seem odd. It's an abstraction, caused by the use of sea areas rather than hexes at sea. A small price to pay for a much simpler naval system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Micozzi
Italy
flag msg tools
Ok,I will wait until the CW will conquer Madagascar and than I will try to invade Diego Suarez!

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At (1) and purely by heart without rule look up:

If Japan gets the initiative in the turn after Vichy is created, then Japan can align Madagascar in her 1st impulse and CW would have missed out on the surprise impulse.

Note that Vichy is created in end of turn steps and hence CW cannot DoW on Vichy before her first impulse in the next turn.

Yours,

Jesper

Edits: Spellings as my english is only slightly better than my Italian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Micozzi
Italy
flag msg tools
The problem is that Japan must align Indocina before than Madagascar and in those turn the CW can easily invade an out of supply hex.
I guess my only hope is a naval blockade.
To speak Italian is not so usefull around the world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got me there.

Correct with that Madagascar has to be a turn after Indochina.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do however think the idea that the CW can simply move a division from the Burma border into Indo-China after DoWing Vichy is a problem. Say the Allies get initiative on the turn after Vichy is created. Then the CW declares war on Vichy and has a division in Burma, waiting for this, cross the border. Now Japan cannot align Indo-China.

But it is worse than that. As long as the CW doesn't conquer Indo-China, Indo-China is a Vichy administrative group and Japan cannot enter, nor can it attack the CW unit there; only the installer of Vichy can enter Vichy administrative groups, only when Vichy is active, and then they must satisfy FTC. So unless Vichy France itself can dislodge the CW unit (unlikely), Japan can never enter Indo-China, and this protects China's southern flank. well never is a long time; you actually have to wait until Vichy is collapsed, then it is owned by Free France (in most cases) and then Jspan can declare war and even then you will almost almost wait until you are at war with the US.

Personally, I think this is 'wrong'. I think it is wrong from a game standpoint that this is a powerful tactic up to the chance of initiative; and I think it is wrong historically since it is very unlikely that some 10,000 troops in Western Indo-China would have kept Japan from de facto controlling Vichy. (In the actual war, Japan left the Vichy administration technically in charge, but Japan obviously took over in reality).

Note that even if Japsn captures Burma and India, they still can't move into Indo-China.

The same applies to Madagascar. Daniele, unfortunately, you can take Madagascar if the CW conquers Madagascar, but they won't! They will simply land there, and you are never allowed in there!

Personally, I rarely think it is worth the US entry to align Madagascar, but clearly there are cases where it is (for instance, invading South Africa) but my group rarely does it anyway. Indo-China, that's a different story.

I've 'complained' about this to ADG a few times, but as it is, thus is how the rules work, I never got any support for stopping this. My group made a simple house rule - we allow a change in the sequence of play. We allow Japan to choose to align Indo-China immediately on Vichy creation.

So for WiFFE players who aren't using Jurin Group house rules, have that CW unit (remember it will be out most of the game so get a throw away unit there) sitting in Burma ready to move into Info-China and stop the Japanese from entering. Japan be ready for it. Do anything you can to get initiative on the turn after Vichy falls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the forum, Daniele! We are quite a few italians here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Micozzi
Italy
flag msg tools
Thank you! I'm from Marche.
It's a really intresting forum and very usefull for WiF players!
Thanks to everyody for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.