arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hi all,

I'm developing a web-based online adaptation of 13 Days. I know that many people prefer to play online adaptations asynchronously. My preference is live play only, and I don't understand the mindset of async players. Can you please tell me what features an online adaptation of a boardgame should have in order to be async-play-friendly?

Here are a few that I can think of:
- Save state on the server, allow to return to it later
- Easily show when it's your turn in the game you're in
- If you're in several async games at once, go to the next one where it's your turn
- Allow to choose time limits on a game (like 1 move per day, or 2 moves per day) that move the game forward and let you know when your opponent has given up on the game
- Email notifications when it's your turn

What are others?

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Async play is great for those of us who have trouble blocking out an hour or two during the day to play continuously.

All your features look good. Would be happy to playtest this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should perhaps be taken for granted, but I'll mention it anyway: show the moves the opponent made on their turn (with an option in settings for replay speed, or simply click to show each action taken). In 13 Days, where only a single action takes place or only the end state is really relevant, it won't matter much, but it still can be helpful to show an animation of (e.g.) a card moving from the hand and flipping over, or a cube moving from stock onto the board. If you don't want to animate (due to time/cost/resources), maybe a flashing border around the played cards or cubes or something just to draw the viewer's attention to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Making the last action clearly visible and what it changed on the board is very important for async play.
At least there should be a textual log noting for each action what card has been played (as event or for command influence), in which battlegrounds how many cubes were added or removed and which DEFCON tracks were escalated or deflated.
Visualizing these changes on the board would be even better.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yep, this has been a pain point in my last, similar project as well, even for live play. The log that lists actions is a must, but it's just ok, not enough for good experience. So now I'm showing the "recent changes" (ie what has changed since the last time you've looked at the board, which roughly corresponds with what your opponent did) on the board: for influence changes, there are "+" and "-" signs drawn over the changed cubes, and for DEFCON/prestige changes, arrows are drawn from the last value to current. Works fairly well for live, and I expect it will be similar for async.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above! For some games, it is nice when the other player's actions are played out in a little movie.

Looking forward to this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- If you're in several async games at once, go to the next one where it's your turn

No, I don't like this. If it's only the single game it can make sense, but saying "No, you can't play game 4 before you have your turn on game 3" kinda sucks. That's how Yucata.de works and it's really annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Quote:

No, I don't like this. If it's only the single game it can make sense, but saying "No, you can't play game 4 before you have your turn on game 3" kinda sucks. That's how Yucata.de works and it's really annoying.

Forcing you to take turns in sequence is annoying, but having a "Next game" button that takes you directly to the next game where it's your turn is VERY convenient!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.