Subject: Suggestions for a D-day/Normandy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanglebones Lauricella

Kettering
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for suggestions for a good game focused on the invasion of Normandy.
To give the group an idea of our (My) taste and experience:
1) over the past 40 years my tolerance for 100+ page rule sets has waned. (Yes, I have fond memories of "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" & "A World at War") I just don't have as much patience for detailed rules anymore.
2) Ideally 2-3 hr playing time
3) lastly (Although most importantly) I like some degree of historical accuracy as I plan to use this game (As i do with all my war-games) as a spring board to teach my kids a little history and strategic thinking.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

- Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberty Roads. The campaign game takes way longer than 2-3 hours (yet, highly recommended, and the rules are not that long). Nonetheless, there is a shorter D-Day scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy '44 is quite accessible, but still loaded with historical detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm Over Normandy covers the landings and the following week, and is playable in two or three hours. (None of the other suggestions so far play in less than three hours.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The following geeklists all pertain to games about D-Day and its aftermath.

Your biggest challenge is the 2-3 hours limit. For that, I would suggest Victory in Normandy. Out of print but not difficult to find on the secondary market.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/132491/item/2035216#it...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/62047/item/1503942#ite...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22134/item/437766#item...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/6768/item/107616#item1...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28921/item/596256#item...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Scott -- Storm Over Normandy is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
D-Day Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies D-Day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Paquet
United States
South burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D day 2nd edition from AH...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Johnson
United States
Seguin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Axis & Allies D-Day

This is my favorite D-Day game, and it is readily available and inexpensive.

It plays well, it is very straight forward and with a variety of strategies available. I used this to introduce my 11 year old son to wargames (and we still play 8 years later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
Normandy '44 is quite accessible, but still loaded with historical detail.

Absolutey top class game but it is long. There is a short scenario in which the allies must link up the beaches. That might fit the timeframe..

Just out of curosity, Does anyone know how long Breakout Normandy takes? I've had a copy at the bottom of my cupboard for a while now. Might think about playing it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsjrev wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:
Axis & Allies D-Day

It plays well, it is very straight forward and with a variety of strategies available. I used this to introduce my 11 year old son to wargames (and we still play 8 years later.

I've played Axis & Allies D-Day several times and I don't see any variety. Because St. Lo is one of the objectives (and logically the last one) and resides near the south edge of the board, it always comes down to a grind across the board and a slugfest on the last couple of turns for St. Lo.

It does have good air rules to reflect the impact of Allied air supremacy, but the Axis & Allies game system -- whereby miniatures representing entire infantry regiments and armored brigades are totally destroyed in a single engagement -- just doesn't work for me here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Eldard wrote:
rsjrev wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:
Axis & Allies D-Day

I've played Axis & Allies D-Day several times and I don't see any variety. Because St. Lo is one of the objectives (and logically the last one) and resides near the south edge of the board, it always comes down to a grind across the board and a slugfest on the last couple of turns for St. Lo.

It does have good air rules to reflect the impact of Allied air supremacy, but the Axis & Allies game system -- whereby miniatures representing entire infantry regiments and armored brigades are totally destroyed in a single engagement -- just doesn't work for me here.

I popped in hoping to learn something, but I have to say that though I am unfamiliar with most of the titles here, I don't know how well this fits the OP's desire. It may be one of the shortest playing games on the list, but it's quite an abstraction.
I found it to be my least favourite A&A title and not very satisfactory as a D-Day simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944 is excellent. Rules are 8 pages SCS standard with another 8 of special rules of which most are for the invasion turns.

It has lots of short scenarios that detail each beach, which can be a bit long if you do the first four invasion an airdrop turns, but you can start at D+1 and skip all of that.

There are also lots of smaller scenarios like Carentan (8 turns), Canadian Crucible (5.5 turns), and Villers Bocage (6 turns).

Plus the full monster game is there waiting if you ever want to mess with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanglebones Lauricella

Kettering
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for all the thoughtful suggestions. I found myself Heading down many rabbit holes among them "The Battle of Normandy" which fit none of my requirements save historical accuracy. I think I may pick up Normandy '44 and A&A and maybe one other and see which one fits our taste best.

- Again thanx for the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Normandy '44. Not close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cobra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier revenu
France
urt
Pyrennees atlantiques
flag msg tools
designer
mb
No Expectations wrote:
I would suggest Victory in Normandy.

Same. Clever and entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Price
United States
Dover
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COBRA, it is still a great game. And the Strategy & Tactics remake only made it better... "Go figure".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Paulson

Roseville
Minnesota
msg tools

I am a little late to the party, but I am a little surprised that no one has suggested Breakout: Normandy. As I recall, the basic game (which covers the first week of the invasion) clocks in at around 3-4 hours. Admittedly, it is out of print and can be a little pricey on the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakout: Normandy would easily be my recommendation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
mbmb
rpaulson11 wrote:
Admittedly, it is out of print and can be a little pricey on the secondary market.
Last December I bought a copy from L2 Design Group ($40 + shipping). It is not the pictured AH version, but an L2 reprint (perhaps improved in some ways).

http://www.l2designgroup.com/SALE2012/L2DesignGroupWarehouse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the ages of your children approximately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
1970 Plymouth Valiant Duster 340
mbmbmbmbmb
The following suggestion meets most of your requirements, though historical accuracy, if there is such a thing, may be a bit lacking.
Otherwise, the rules are not terribly long or complex and you can play a scenario in 1-3 hours easily.

A great game dripping with theme, easy to learn and quick to play. There are more scenario packs surrounding the events of D-DAY, as well:

Plenty of D-DAY fun and lots of replayability with everything included in the base game and these three expansions.
You can build endless battlefields and scenarios with this system, one of the best features, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
The following suggestion meets most of your requirements, though historical accuracy, if there is such a thing, may be a bit lacking.
Otherwise, the rules are not terribly long or complex and you can play a scenario in 1-3 hours easily.

Plenty of D-DAY fun and lots of replayability with everything included in the base game and these three expansions.
You can build endless battlefields and scenarios with this system, one of the best features, IMHO.

These games are as historically accurate as Warhammer Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.