6 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Crossroads as betrayer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Van Maldeghem
Belgium
flag msg tools
When you play as a betrayer and you have the crossroads cars in your hand; can you steer a discussion to a point where that player will make a choice and is then forced to play out the crossroads cards?

Is that part of the game mechanic, part as being a betrayer - to steer a discussion in a certain direction so the active player will trigger the crossroad card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not sure if there is any official ruling here but I personally wouldn't do it for the game sake.

Actually.. I stopped to think about it and unwilfully, in my gaming group, whoever had the crossroad cards usually doesn't discuss much.
In addition.. Normally we would never read the text after the trigger

But I'd rather keep the crossroad totally random to happen rather than direct the into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good question, but In my opinion, I don't think that is appropriate at all. You have inside information as both the betrayer and as the bearer of the Crossroads card. This should not be exploited in any way. Even if you are not the betrayer and trying to steer another player into something good or away from something bad. That is not what the intention of the cards are meant for. Let the game play out as it will. I would feel both cheated if that was done to me, and an ass if I did it to someone else.

My 2 cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Djna83 wrote:
.. Normally we would never read the text after the trigger

Very very good point... the bearer of the Crossroads card should only read the trigger, then wait for the trigger to happen before reading further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wallace
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumpfuggit wrote:
Djna83 wrote:
.. Normally we would never read the text after the trigger

Very very good point... the bearer of the Crossroads card should only read the trigger, then wait for the trigger to happen before reading further.

If you can, use the Crossroads App in place of the crossroad cards. It only displays the trigger initially and the reader has to advance the app to read the content of the card only if the trigger occurs. It helps take some of the temptation away. Additionally, the app doesn't display the results for the options presented to the player/group until after a choice is made - this helps keep the players from making the choice base on what the best outcome will be and keeps the choice centered on the story/conflict.

Just my $0.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of the Crossroads mechanic as really being a "computer" function. It's a way for random event to happen during the game, but since there isn't a computer running the game, it falls on the players to simulate it.

The player holding the Crossroads card, waiting for it to trigger, should compartmentalize their brain. One part of their brain is on alert for the trigger condition and may even know what the results will be. The other part of their brain should ignore that knowledge and take part in discussions as if they didn't know any of that.

It's similar to talking to a friend about Game of Thrones if you've read way ahead of them. You can still have discussions with them if you put yourself in the mindset of where you were then, when you didn't know what you now know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.