Subject: Scythe has killed my desire to purchase any new board games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is just that damn good,with so much variety and replayability im perfectly content on not purchasing another game for a long while.

In some weird way Scythe will save me money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said that to myself many many times. At the best, it held true for a month or so

But yeah, since receiving it yesterday (and immediately playing my first game), I'm pretty fired up for playing it again very very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I as well spoke those same words after my copy arrived. However, i have purchased a couple more (Burano and Marco Polo), got a Kickstarter in (The Networks plus Saloon Tycoon arriving in just a week or 2) and I have several more Kickstarters on the way and an CSI order gathering up soon. I think its just something we say lol laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benny: I'm honored to hear that, and I hope you get many plays out of Scythe. When you're ready to try something new, I'd recommend two of the games that had a big influence on Scythe: Terra Mystica and Kemet. They're wonderful games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is so awesome I was thinking the same thing! But I must be weak...
I just backed the Coldwater Crown KS. (However like Jamey the designer is also from the St. Louis area so maybe there is some kind of subconscious connection???)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Manansala
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haha I was thinking the same thing. Why buy any other games if I could play Scythe and enjoy it every time? It's so good! But, Gen Con is right around the corner and then I'm gonna need all the new games again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron: Also, Beth Sobel (the artist for Viticulture, Tuscany, and Between Two Cities) is the artist for Coldwater Crown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benrocky wrote:
Scythe is just that damn good,with so much variety and replayability im perfectly content on not purchasing another game for a long while.

In some weird way Scythe will save me money

That's an ilusion
You will buy more

I have Scythe on pre-order and i will def buy more and i give you an example of something you will buy next year:

CHARTERSTONE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Aaron: Also, Beth Sobel (the artist for Viticulture, Tuscany, and Between Two Cities) is the artist for Coldwater Crown. :)

Oh that's right! My subconscious mind is blown! (Soon we'll all be playing 'Six Degrees of Jamey Stegmaier'.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm eager to keep playing it, and it has contributed to upping the expectation I need before getting a new game but...well... I already have purchased Cuba Libre and Elevenses for One since my first game of Scythe.

SeaFall is likely to be purchased any day!

Old habits die hard maybe?

Glad you are enjoying it so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not happened here. But then again, I own many, many games I've not even opened yet let alone played. So I don't think any game, no matter how good, would curtail me from my boardgame addiction. Yes, I have a problem...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Benny: I'm honored to hear that, and I hope you get many plays out of Scythe. When you're ready to try something new, I'd recommend two of the games that had a big influence on Scythe: Terra Mystica and Kemet. They're wonderful games.

Thanks Jamey. I already have Kemet (with the ta seti expansion), which I adore. Terra Mystica, a good friend of mine has a copy. Definitely on my must try list.

Had another session (4 players) last night, and after the game was finished we just sat and talked about the game for like half an hour. That never happens cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I find this a weird, idolizing post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Freeber
msg tools
mbmbmb
You sir, are going to have one loooooooong exhausting life if you feel the need to point out every weird post on the internet.

I think most people can see the post as excitement over their new game and not some idolization disorder. Let them enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:

Haha in hindsight I can see how that would be appear so. Just an innocent post on how I feel about the game right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this thread is weird at all. Benny, thanks for sharing your excitement with other people who are excited about Scythe (or any game, for that matter). That's awesome, and I feel sorry for anyone who would try to shame you or anyone else for sharing your excitement and passion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:

Why is it weird to acknowledge that something is good but is OK to bash someone or something to the pulp ?
World is getting stranger...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:
Why is it weird to acknowledge that something is good but is OK to bash someone or something to the pulp ?
World is getting stranger...

Because this is the internet and god forbid someone'd be caught here saying something that's not ironic, cynical or containing the word "pretentious"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so completely satisfied I don't need to buy a single game for at least a month...well maybe 2 weeks or whenever Cry Havoc launcheswhistle
Sorry Jamey, sometimes I get the AD real hardcry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've felt this way about a few games, and while they didn't stop me in the long run from buying other games, they ended up staying really, really solid options for when it's time to game.

Glad to hear there's another one out there that might fit that description.

(Who am I kidding, "might?". This puppy is an insta-buy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had similar response for the last few weeks. Then scythe made me want to pick up all the Stonemeir games that I don't already have haha. I agree with Jamey its great to get excited about an awesome new game you just found and share that. People wear face paint and foam fingers at sporting events of their favorite team a glowing positive internet forum post is pretty tame in comparison haha

P.S Yeah cry havoc is pounding on my acquisition disorder door big time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:

I find this a weird, negative post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[url][/url]
adamredwoods wrote:

Yeah, totally weird that people would be enthusiastic about board games at a website called BOARDGAMEGEEK for god's sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting pickier about what games come into my house. I'm happy scythe is here and I haven't even been able to play it yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We Playthrough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
adamredwoods wrote:

I guess I misread this, but when I read it, I took it in a playful tone. Definitely not like he was attacking anyone. Maybe that is just my naivety in thinking people are generally good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.