Who else dislikes minis
Who else doesn't care about art
Who else doesn't care about theme
Who else thinks BoardGames these days are worse
Who else doesn't care about standees
If the world explodes and we all burn who do we save from bgg
Why do we find everything offensive
And the list goes on...

Come on guys I use to have loads of fun reading these boards, but lately it's getting me down! A little friendly drama can be fun, but so much negativity lately. Really?

I love minis, I love art, I love standees, the world isn't going to burn, I don't usually get offended by every little non malicious joke, I believe board games are in a golden age, I like theme as well as mechanics...

And not, I'm not a care bear. Far from it, I'd say.

Just chill... zombiearrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh J
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Those topics strike me as what is "currently trending" on BGG.

"Well that person made a topic, now I will too!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, pretty much people just take a topic title and change a word in it. So, one title spawns a couple more threads about a similar topic.

Next, we will have the thread, "What's with all the positivity lately?"
Followed by, "What's with all the negativity a long time ago?"
To be capped off with, "What's with all the positivity a long time ago?"

It's just the way cycles work here.

I suppose we could extend this cycle when someone posts, "What's with all the ennui lately?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
o_0!?

Um, doesn't this thread fall into that category?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What! I have already moved my lawn chairs to my place to stand and split my lever into long sticks and NOW you tell me the world is not going to burn after all and I won't be able to toast my marshmallows ???

This is entirely too negative for me..............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This place is generally an overwhelming ball of positivity, it needs to seep out through the cracks now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The internet was invented (in its modern form) around 1994.

Pete (presumes that's the negativity period you're referring to)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of it has to do with a progression of the hobby and an over saturation of options leading to a negative focus in an attempt to return to a more simple and understandable core.

As an example think of food for people to eat as a metaphor for gaming. Imagine how it went from cave person days to how it is in a highly commerce heavy country like the USA. It kind of went in a progression like this:

1. Cave Person - "OMG I am so hungry! All I could find was half of a root today to eat! I hope I don't die! (or OMG I wish I had something to do, like play a game, but the only game around is "Throw This Rock at a Tree" )

2. Agrarian Person - "Wow, if I plant crops in the ground they grow and I can have food for most of the year and now only half of us will die! Awesome! (or Wow, my game collection now includes Pachesi and Go! Collection complete! I kind of wish there was something else though..."

3. Person Living in Trade/Barter based Economy - "This is great, instead of having to farm all day I can do a craft I like better, like Smithing, and use the money I made to buy the food I want! Progress! I have zero risk of dying of starvation and can expand my mind and culture! (or This is great, instead of just playing the same mechanics heavy classic games I can spend a month trying to figure out how to play Squad Leader or Dungeons & Dragons! Progress! Wait, whats this... Collectible card game? Hmmm..."

4. Person Living in early 21st Century - "Oh man, I can't decide what I should eat today! I have diabetes and heart disease now from eating so much food all the time so I need to cut out all of this crap food and focus on the good stuff! Now to craft the perfect Yelp review of the obviously sub par dim sum fusion grilled cheese hot dog food truck I ate at for lunch today! Progress! " (or Oh man, I have 200 games in my collection and nothing to play! I need to have a garage sale or something so I can get rid of all these crap games and get some good ones instead! Progress!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally the best solution to this kind of complaint is to start some threads of your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Must be the election cycle rubbing off. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
espoon82 wrote:
Must be the election cycle rubbing off. ;-)

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should re-title the thread "Who else dislikes negative threads?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Registrau wrote:

And not, I'm not a care bear. Far from it, I'd say.

Man, I couldn't have been the only one hoping, nay praying, that your avatar gif contained sunshine bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Low testosterone can cause irritability...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
plezercruz wrote:
The internet was invented (in its modern form) around 1994.

And it is still September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid boardgames. I hate them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there always questions about why people question anything?
Too much ado about motive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much ado about nothing really
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah shut the f**k up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Registrau wrote:
Come on guys I use to have loads of fun reading these boards, but lately it's getting me down! A little friendly drama can be fun, but so much negativity lately. Really?

Oh, noes, is it a break from herdthink hivemind consumeristic euphoria?
Oh, noes, not every thread is about:
there's never enough games
I must buy more
all games are beatiful and I need to collect them all like Pokemons.

Think about it in terms of digestion - if you only stuff yourself with stuff you will explode sooner or later if you don't also shit. Letting stuff out is important. Venting has a healthy function. Lets out steam. Brings back equilibrium.

Quote:
Just chill...

That's what we're doing, but we like our parties loud with a lot of bass. cool

[Through the years of bgg I've noticed that the venting which happens tends to visceral unfocused not consciously articulated which just means the regime of positivity is unbearable. And honestly, when people will learn to accept criticism the world will be a better less wimpy place. Not liking something is not an attack on others, jeeze.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the general discussion forums lead to a lot more negativity. Attention hogs whistle post controversial posts in the hopes of getting more attention. We seek feedback and often negative feedback can be as stimulating as positive feedback.

All that said, I think generally people are pretty nice. Also, if you leave the general forums and go to the specific game forums it gets much nicer. Sure there's some flaming there too, but most of the discussion seems focussed on how each game works, strategies, etc.

I do agree the negativity can be a bit much. I like your positive post and see it as a organic response to the negativity that's been out there. You're kind of like a white blood cell rushing to deal with an infection. Hmmm. Maybe we could make a game out of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I think the general discussion forums lead to a lot more negativity.

To counterbalance game forums full of fanboys who actually subscribe to a game page?

Honestly, I have no clue what the hell is "positivist" and "negativity".
People have opinions. On forums these are expressed. That's it.

skutsch wrote:
I do agree the negativity can be a bit much. I

I still think gaming circles - not just boardgaming, but also video gaming - have serious issues with accepting criticism as a perfectly normal (and integral) part of daily discussions. If you check metacritic - scores by videogame reviewers are interpreted differently than music and film reviews as the whole video gaming community is biased toward "positivity". Part of it is lack of profesional reviewing, part of it is obsession driven geek culture which is all about immediate gratification and putting uninformed consumerism on the level of a religion. Yes, we all need moar games, yes, never enough, yes all games are great. Nope. I find Strugeon's law to be much more realistic.

Also I think the so-called negativity bursting through on bgg occasionally (on venting geeklists and the like) and on entire F:AT is just the other side of the positive loop. I think if everybody wouldn't try so much to appear euphoric all the time, negativity would be so much of a "argh!". Bursts demonstrate exactly that the positivity regime is unbearable by the same people who practice it.
It might also be linked to a wider cultural/social issue.

Also - yeah, we lost Geekmadness this year!
That's a major venting valve lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I blame the grumpiness on the hot weather
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It always surprising how angry people can get about board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does get a bit much sometimes, and you start to wonder if anyone is really having any fun playing games, or they're just whining about things they dont like

I recommend videos of kittens playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.