$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Character Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Skrivan
msg tools
I have just a couple questions about some of the expansion character's abilities, and how they can be used. Basically, I have my impression of how they work, and I want to make sure my understanding is correct.

Structural Engineer
It says the structural engineer cannot use his clear or repair abilities if there is fire adjacent. My understanding is that smoke is okay, but there can't be any fire adjacent to a hot spot being cleared (meaning, one of the 4 cardinal directions with no barriers in between), and walls can't be repaired unless there is no fire on either side of the damage. The hot spot ability must be used on the space where the hot spot is (not adjacent to it) and repair must be used adjacent to the wall that is being repaired.

Is this correct? If not, what is wrong?

Fire Prevention Specialist
Can you move any smoke or POI, or do you have to be in a certain range?

Fire Engine
Okay, not a character per se, but the Fire Engine can only be moved when on it? But the ambulance can be radioed for 2 actions?

Similarly, we've been playing that after changing gear, being knocked out, or driving/riding, you can choose either of the spots for the fire truck.

Fire Captain
Can he use his two free movement abilities to radio one of the vehicles? Can he use them on himself (I'm guessing no, want to clarify)?

Thanks in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
skribs wrote:
I have just a couple questions about some of the expansion character's abilities, and how they can be used. Basically, I have my impression of how they work, and I want to make sure my understanding is correct.

Structural Engineer
It says the structural engineer cannot use his clear or repair abilities if there is fire adjacent. My understanding is that smoke is okay, but there can't be any fire adjacent to a hot spot being cleared (meaning, one of the 4 cardinal directions with no barriers in between), and walls can't be repaired unless there is no fire on either side of the damage. The hot spot ability must be used on the space where the hot spot is (not adjacent to it) and repair must be used adjacent to the wall that is being repaired.

Is this correct? If not, what is wrong?

When repairing a damaged wall, you must be adjacent to it, and there cannot be any fire adjacent to you. It doesn't matter what's on the other side of the wall, since the wall blocks adjacency. (If the wall is completely destroyed, it cannot be repaired.)

skribs wrote:
Fire Prevention Specialist
Can you move any smoke or POI, or do you have to be in a certain range?
Any at all, but always in the shortest path toward an exit.

skribs wrote:
Fire Engine
Okay, not a character per se, but the Fire Engine can only be moved when on it? But the ambulance can be radioed for 2 actions?

Similarly, we've been playing that after changing gear, being knocked out, or driving/riding, you can choose either of the spots for the fire truck.
Yes, the truck only moves if someone drives it. There are EMTs you can radio to move the ambulance around. If you're knocked down, you go to the ambulance, not the fire truck, but otherwise yes, you can choose either vehicle spot.

skribs wrote:
Fire Captain
Can he use his two free movement abilities to radio one of the vehicles? Can he use them on himself (I'm guessing no, want to clarify)?
No to both. He can only order move actions, which is a limited set of things which don't include driving/radioing vehicles. He also cannot command himself as the ability specifically states other firefighters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Structural Engineer: I think you're over-complicating it.

For 1AP you may return a Hot Spot from your space to the side of the board.

For 2AP you may remove a damage marker from a damaged wall segment that borders your space. (Not a destroyed wall segment, so for example you may never repair a thin wall segment.)

When you do either of these things, there must be no Fire in your space, or in any Adjacent space.

Note that if a wall segment is not destroyed, the space on the other side of it is not Adjacent to you - so you can repair it if there's fire on the other side.

(Understanding exactly what "Adjacent" means is the key to the game IMO.)

Fire Prevention Specialist: anywhere on the board.

Fire Engine: basically correct, with the minor proviso that that's to an adjacent parking space, not anywhere on the board - and some boards have higher movement costs.

Fire Captain: no, calling the Ambulance and driving the Engine are not moving or opening/closing doors, so command AP cannot be used to make them happen. And the rules specify "any other Firefighter".

Hope this helps - do ask more if I haven't been clear.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skrivan
msg tools
So using the base game with these extra characters, I can use the structural engineer to fix a wall with 1 damage, but not with 2, because at that point it is destroyed?

Byron, what do you mean by "always the shortest path towards an exit"?

I thought you went to the Fire Engine and not the Ambulance after you were knocked out. Thank you for the correction.

I did understand the neighboring space part, just didn't include it in my post. Thanks for correcting me, anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, a 2 cube (destroyed) wall cannot be repaired.

For the Fire Prevention Specialist, smoke and unrevealed POI can only be moved directly toward the nearest door/exit leading outside, even if that means it must pass through other smoke or fire (which you clearly don't want to do.) You cannot move smoke away from other smoke just to separate it; it has to be on a path toward an exit.

| P F - D
| - - - |

If a POI (P) needs to go through a door (D), it can't be moved around the fire, since the shortest path is the straight line through the fire.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skrivan
msg tools
Ah, okay!

Quick question: which expansion did that guy (fire prevention specialist) come from? I sorted everything when I got all the expansions and now I don't remember which rulebook to use for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
skribs wrote:
Ah, okay!

Quick question: which expansion did that guy (fire prevention specialist) come from? I sorted everything when I got all the expansions and now I don't remember which rulebook to use for them.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue – Honor & Duty
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the Fire Prevention Officer was supposed to be a kick starter exclusive for Honor and Duty. Same with the new attic/basement map.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.