Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RL M
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a recent work trip, my husband told a co-worker about our board gaming hobby. He explained a few different games (7 Wonders, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Age of Empires III, and Alchemists), to show the variety in modern board games.

Well, this guy really wants to learn Alchemists. He's only ever played Monopoly, Clue, and other mainstream games.

Would you let him jump into the deep end and teach it to him? Or steer him to a more gateway game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
modestguineapig wrote:
Would you let him jump into the deep end and teach it to him?

Sure, why not? Interest trumps almost everything. He knows better what interests him than you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
modestguineapig wrote:
On a recent work trip, my husband told a co-worker about our board gaming hobby. He explained a few different games (7 Wonders, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Age of Empires III, and Alchemists), to show the variety in modern board games.

Well, this guy really wants to learn Alchemists. He's only ever played Monopoly, Clue, and other mainstream games.

Would you let him jump into the deep end and teach it to him? Or steer him to a more gateway game?

Depends on the person of course, but when Magic the Gathering almost got me into the hobby in the 90s we tried some popular gateways at the time, and found them so simplistic it kept me away for a good decade or so until I jumped in the deep end again.

So if 'too simple' is what's keeping him away, then absolutely dive in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught the game successfully to non-gamers. I agree with David above. Interest trumps. Better to have a muddled 1st play, and wanting more, than a meh experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RL M
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! We were leaning that way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mason
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the first round only having half the actions available you can start just by teaching them and then introduce the rest before the second round starts.
Paul Grogans videos are also good for introducing the game.
The only thing to mention is the length of the game but if they are used to playing monopoly then length of game shouldn't be an issue. (Unless it's Monopoly City which comes with a useful timer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing you absolutely have to explain before starting is how potion-making works, and how you can deduce things from it - I spend a while making sure everyone understands it, can say what any given pair of alchemicals will make, and what it means when you make a particular potion with a given pair of ingredients.

Anything else, you can explain as it comes up in the game, and correct any mistakes as they arise, but if someone gets the deduction wrong, you'll only find out at the end of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i was recently in this same situation. First of all I watched Rahdo's playthrough (including the extended play). Then I read the rules over. Afterwards the only thing I was unsure of was the whole publishing and debunking aspects.

When I played it with my group we spent time explaining how mixing the potions work. You NEED to get past that first. The time it takes to explain depends on your group

After that I explained the first round actions and we played through it. Then I explained the extra stuff. We were all experienced gamers but it took us like 4 hours to play the game (including all the talk time

I recommend getting your group to AT LEAST watch Paul Grogans video (the longer one) where he explains the overview in really good detail.

Mechanically its a very easy game to learn and play. No too often we play games in my group where we hit every single rule correctly (heavier games like this I mean) but we did really well with this one. The whole meat of the game is the deduction aspect. If you can wrap your head around that then the rest is just fun figuring out what you need to do.

Awesome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of on the fence. I agree that interest is definitely a strong draw. But because Alchemists is a heavier game, you might consider introducing him to a more simple worker placement game first then (even in the same gaming session?) teach him Alchemists. The potion aspect of the game was quite a bit to grok (for me, anyway) so if you could expose them to the worker placement mechanism first, that would then be one less thing they are having to learn.

Maybe talk to him to see if he is normally bored because games are too simple or he just has not been exposed to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteBoy wrote:
I'm kind of on the fence. I agree that interest is definitely a strong draw. But because Alchemists is a heavier game, you might consider introducing him to a more simple worker placement game first then (even in the same gaming session?) teach him Alchemists.

This seems so backwards to me. Most likely he's going to hate a generic worker placement game, while if he's actually interested in Alchemists then the attraction of the concept and mechanisms is going to get him to learn the worker placement mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnese K
Latvia
Riga
Riga
flag msg tools
mb
Absolutely! I've tried feeding various games to my nongaming boyfriend without luck but this one is his only favorite. He doesn't like complex rules in general, but this one, since it caught his interest, didn't give him any trouble. Rulebook nicely provides a way how to introduce rules on table with as little pain as possible (jokes included ). On top of that, it is one of those games which is interesting even if you haven't gotten the feel for the game yet, unlike about all of the other involved euros, or wargames or anything else complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd make it clear beforehand that Alchemists is a complicated game and its going to take a while to learn, especially with no modern boardgaming experience. But once he signs off on that go for it! Like others have said, genuine interest will carry you through a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.