Subject: Counter Quality Query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Just got the game but before I punch out the counters I wanted to know if the ones I have are normal. Basically there is a lot of bleed. You can see in the picture I've attached where parts of the characters hands or weapons get cut off. Obviously it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way but I wanted to check if I had got a bad batch or if it is perfectly normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup, perfectly normal. Check out the same section of counters in the game's image gallery:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I shall punch away then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes you feel better I thought the same myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yours look like mine :-)

I remember the same issue with Yggdrasil and wishing they had captured more of the Vikings stored on the Viking token.

I'm no graphics art or printer guy but I imagine that was a deliberate choice to show as much of the character as possible on the token as opposed to the entire piece of artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they could have colored the surrounding black background grey in that area to widen the bleed and thus the cut so more of the character image can be included.

The weapon that some of the characters are holding are completely cut off so that the remaining hand on the counter looks like the character is just waving unarmed. Not very a very threatening appearance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the full art is on the character card... I guess if I want to look at the character, I'm looking at the card closer to me rather than the smaller token on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Pike III
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

VPG Graphic Designer Barry here.

To answer the questions on chopped off arms and weapons (I know, it's a travesty - those poor heroes!). We chose to enlarge the characters inside the shape of the counter so that they could be more easily recognizable from a distance (AKA you can see their faces better). Much like comat0se stated, we also figured that with the full art on the cards that the counters didn't need it, only needing to represent the hero as a token on the board for location purposes.

The reason it looks like the art is accidentally cut off is because the printer requires a 3mm bleed (aka additional art) around the cut line. This is to account for any potential misalignment of the blades when the counters are cut. This makes sure that the art always goes all the way to the edge of the counter when it's cut. Hopefully this clears things up for you all.

On a side note, this thread just made me think about how much more butt kicking those heroes are without their arms or weapons!

Edit: Also, to answer the question, your counters are as they should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incubus wrote:
VPG Graphic Designer Barry here.

Barry Allen?
Incubus wrote:
To answer the questions on chopped off arms and weapons (I know, it's a travesty - those poor heroes!).

Poor Zeds too...
Incubus wrote:
We chose to enlarge the characters inside the shape of the counter so that they could be more easily recognizable from a distance (AKA you can see their faces better).

Agree...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.