Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a thread with this as the topic lately, in which I participated fairly heavily. But I thought I'd start a new one. Why? Because I am actually at the cusp of trying to decide what my "big new game" will be for late 2017. Now, I am emphatically not a believer in Design By Committee, so this is not a democracy or a poll. But I am interested in hearing what you guys are most keen on. I already have an idea from the earlier thread, of course.

First some ground rules.

1) any collaboration between me and another author or designer is highly unlikely.

2) a licensed property is unlikely. Move that up to highly unlikely if it is a film property. (Movie lawyers give me the cold robbies.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that means a game based on the first age of Middle-earth or something with Marvel Comics' characters are out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you did nor like my ffg critique in the prior thread, but do you understand how unlike CoC both mansions of madness and the current Arkham a horror are? MoM could be any generic horror game, the Cthulhu theme is literally slapped in, the mechanics don't make me feel cosmic dread, but just dread of constant skill tests. Arkham horror first edition was great as a light Cthulhu board game, but I feel the ffg edition is bloated, and long for what it is. Very pretty, though.

I get it if you feel CoC is done, but if you ever get a wild hair to do it in board game form, I promise to buy it.

I am game for broken lands, changeling earth as it would be just as awesome as the swords for a theme. They are the past from which the swords series was born. Draffut, Ardneh, and Orcus, oh my.

How about a 4x space game set in the mythos universe. Many of the Cthulhu monsters are aliens which could be the different races.

A mythos deduction game ala Sherlock Holmes consulting detective.

A skirmish game based on the martian tales of ERB. They are public domain now I believe.

A hidden traitor game where everyone is a classic monster and one player is secretly a human in disguise trying to collect the traditional tools to off the the monsters before he/she is discovered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Smilinbrax wrote:

A mythos deduction game ala Sherlock Holmes consulting detective.

That exact game is already beng made by someone else: Mythos Tales

Yes, maybe Sandy could make it better, but really don't see the need for two of the same game out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
A skirmish game based on the martian tales of ERB. They are public domain now I believe.

Ha! John Carter of Mars was the first thing I thought of when I read Sandy's post. Not sure why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something about a sinking boat ?

Titanic comes to mind,but there were many.

It could make for a stressfull, decision making, game you could design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
I know you did nor like my ffg critique in the prior thread, but do you understand how unlike CoC both mansions of madness and the current Arkham a horror are? MoM could be any generic horror game, the Cthulhu theme is literally slapped in, the mechanics don't make me feel cosmic dread, but just dread of constant skill tests. Arkham horror first edition was great as a light Cthulhu board game, but I feel the ffg edition is bloated, and long for what it is. Very pretty, though.

Eldritch Horror fills that niche.

It's a shame licensed collaborations are out, because I'd love to see Sandy Petersen's Stormbringer: The War Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quinn hunsaker
msg tools
I have enjoyed learning about Gloranthia through Gods War. So I would like a game with a strong setting but I can't think of one that wouldn't require a collaboration with companies.

That being said I would love a Brandon Sanderson game with bigatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to see something in the Dune universe, or some kind of remake of Starship Troopers. Even better- both games. Of course, lots of legal / IP issues here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiewarrior07 wrote:
Starship Troopers
This would be excellent, but stick to the book rather than the movie please!
One man army marines and smart hivemind > generic marine grunts and arachnid wave hive mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just send what I send to Petersen Games a few months ago -

Have you fine people ever considered making a modern team based hidden movement game in the Cthuhu Mythos? I imagine something along the lines of Fury of Dracula or Letters from White Chapel. I figure you could do the mechanic justice and get rid of the mandatory 5 player crutch by just making different great old ones be designed for different player counts. For example a weaker GOO like Yig could be for a 2 player game while a more challenging GOO like Cthulhu or Azathoth could be for 6 player games.

Imagine a game where one player controls a cultist traveling across a game board, something on a less global scale, maybe a board themed after a small city or state. Where the objective of the Cultist is to lay traps for the investigators while trying to open a certain amount of gates to the other world to win the game. Meanwhile the team of players makes up the investigators trying to capture and defeat the cultist before they can set their nefarious plans into motion bringing about the horror that is the world of the Cthulhu Wars game.

I would buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-op dungeon crawler I'd say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game like Risk, but with a Age of Mithology feeling.

It could be set on Earth, with a Legacy system, where armies clash for objectives, building structures and earning the favor of the gods.

To differ from CW, it should be havily focused on battles, with pantheons from human culture like greeks, vikings, egiptians, sumerians, celts, aztecs. Offcourse there could be mythological units, for those that achieve their deities' objectives.

Last but not least, we could have a mythos pantheon where each GOO confers a specific boon and allows summoning of related units (stretch goal or addon, so we can use CW minis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:

It could be set on Earth, with a Legacy system, where armies clash for objectives, building structures and earning the favor of the gods.

To differ from CW, it should be havily focused on battles, with pantheons from human culture like greeks, vikings, egiptians, sumerians, celts, aztecs. Offcourse there could be mythological units, for those that achieve their deities' objectives.

Last but not least, we could have a mythos pantheon where each GOO confers a specific boon and allows summoning of related units (stretch goal or addon, so we can use CW minis).

Well, Risk: Godstorm may be what you're thinking of:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10383/risk-godstorm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
A one vs many where the "many" all strive to acquire the role of the "one" a la Crawl.

I know what you said about using existing IPs being unlikely, but I would love for this to be se in the Kill Six Billion Demons universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I would want you to make a cooperative game with big Miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:

This. Without the legacy aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

Eldritch Horror fills that niche.

Eldritch horror is nothing like CoC other than the mythos theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again I'll repeat: Mesoamerican mythology -themed euroish-combatish area control/DudesoB.
Feathery snakes ForTheWin!

Or the same as above, set in terrain between Nile and India and from Turkey to Mesopotamia/Arabia . Ancient times theme, Egypt, Sumer, Hettites, Assyria... I've never dig enough into their hystory, so probably most of them never existed at the same time (except hittites and Egypt) but who cares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C V
msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel like I have many ideas, but I'll pick just one for now.

Mythology is your bread and butter, hands down. Play to your strengths. I would love to see a miniatures-based game on historical mythology. I think a unique hybrid of your favorite mechanics could work well here. Players would choose a culture (faction) and the first phase of the game could emulate early civilizations, not quite a 4X game but surviving as a species in a primitive landscape and growing the culture.

As your society grows, the second phase of the game progresses in other ways too. Each culture has unique goals or quest lines (not unlike spell books but with more flavor). The overall idea, is that as your culture fulfills these quests or stories, your villagers would become or discover the God's of their culture. Some factions may actually have a villager that through heroic deeds becomes a God. Others may need to discover or worship something in-particular to "unlock" that God. This leads to bringing your Deities into play.

The final phase involves battling for supremacy. And in retrospect I realize that a lot of this reads similar to the God's War but I imagine each culture almost having their own narrative which makes them stand apart not just mechanically but economically and stylistically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd Ruinaes idea with Civs plus unique cultures plus mythology.

How about a cool game with big monsters and mechs, with accompanying small units like tanks and ground troops? Could have lots of cool 3D cardboard buildings to blow up, and damage. Pretty sure no one on these forums has ever talked about adding Jaegers or Godzilla-like monsters to Cthulhu Wars, or for them to get their own game? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cam27 wrote:
2nd Ruinaes idea with Civs plus unique cultures plus mythology.

How about a cool game with big monsters and mechs, with accompanying small units like tanks and ground troops? Could have lots of cool 3D cardboard buildings to blow up, and damage. Pretty sure no one on these forums has ever talked about adding Jaegers or Godzilla-like monsters to Cthulhu Wars, or for them to get their own game? whistle

A miniature heavy board game version of Cthulhu Tech perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh I second that!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C V
msg tools
mbmbmb
If we talk about bringing mechs into the game, I think Pacific Rim right away. There could be a lot of interesting mechanics here as well.

To change thing up the PG formula a little, I would hope for a more in-depth combat system. Perhaps the greater world map involved routing resources and planning defenses/offenses. This would have almost an XCOM kind of feel to it. This could be fun since PG is no stranger to creating economic elements. Various forms of research could unlocks more potential for your mechs.

Lower-level mechs of different types would effectively be your minions. Some may not even be combat based but more utilitarian ( I think of SVCs in StarCraft).

The GOO-level mechs would be unique and named, like those in Pacific Rim. I would hope for a combat system in which different components or limbs can be damaged/repaired/upgraded individually. I loved how the Kaiju in PR seemed to respond with genetic evolutions.

Ultimately, I would want to feel like I truly own my mech or my beast. I want to retreat if I know I'm being beaten so I can change my load out and repair/heal to get back in the fight. Hopefully my other defenses or allies can hold long enough.

Team composition would be challenging. Monster vs Mech really makes it seem like a two-party game and only that right? So perhaps the core game could involve multiple mech factions that are not allied. Different nations with different styles and technology? In a cthulhu sense, only one faction can truly rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a game where the gods of different civilizations fight to gain worshippers around the globe. You could mix Greek, Egyptian, Chinese, etc. mythology
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.