Subject: Geography lessons for game designers/publishers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Dublin is in the middle of Ireland.
Denmark is split in half and Copenhagen in the location of Aarhus.
And I'm not even going to get into the geography of the entire grey area of eastern Europe. Suffice to say half the cities doesn't even look close.

Seriously, its not that hard to open google maps and double check before you send a game to the printers.

This is coming from someone who absolutely suck a geography soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd imagine it's more likely that they changed the position of locations for readability or graphic design rather than that they just guessed where everything was incorrectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maciej w
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed the same thing. I wonder if this was done on purpose or by neglegence? It hard to believe they could miss the location w/o even knowing it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maciej w
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slickerdrips wrote:
I'd imagine it's more likely that they changed the position of locations for readability or graphic design rather than that they just guessed where everything was incorrectly

In some cases it may be the reason. But in many... not. Look i.a. at Paris...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slickerdrips wrote:

I agree that due to readability you change the LABEL...but moving the dot where the city is supposed to lie? Man, that is so 19th century...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slickerdrips wrote:

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be what happened here. The board looks like have plenty of room for correct placement.
You can get a good view of it in Zee Garcia's review here. Skip to about 6:40m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Tjazz wrote:
slickerdrips wrote:

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be what happened here. The board looks like have plenty of room for correct placement.
You can get a good view of it in Zee Garcia's review here. Skip to about 6:40m

Hmm, Glasgow appears to have changed coasts and moved about 150 miles to forcibly displace Inverness, normally they just stick to swapping Edinburgh and Glasgow at random, nice that one of the minor cities gets to pretend to be one of the big boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maciej w
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best one seems to be Bratislava. Moved two countries away, ca. 500 km south-east.

Also Krakow misplaced by approx. 500km.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Erickson
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
publisher
Covert Spy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for bringing this to our attention.

During our initial layout, these dots were large circles covering a bigger area. During the graphic design process, they were changed to pins for thematic appeal. However, when this change occurred, the pins were not as accurately placed as they could have been.

We will be reviewing this for future printings of the game. We really appreciate your attention to detail and would like to apologize for this error.

Sara Erickson
Director of Sales and Marketing
Renegade Game Studios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toshirauma wrote:
We will be reviewing this for future printings of the game. We really appreciate your attention to detail and would like to apologize for this error.

I actually found it amusingly thematic. While intelligence agencies do use a lot of smart and intelligent people, there are always way too many cases of people missing the bloody obvious even on things which are extremely common knowledge.
So having a bunch of, otherwise competent and well trained, spies not sure exactly where major cities are on a map... can work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I've seen worse.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/191690/geographically-cha...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also seem to have taken half of Denmark (the part where Copenhagen actually should be) and made it Swedish instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezel wrote:
They also seem to have taken half of Denmark (the part where Copenhagen actually should be) and made it Swedish instead? :what:

That's impressive!

The tunnel to Malmo was never going to be a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This kind of thing is always a risk when you paste on a theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.