Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulfengaard Hrafnson
United States
Cameron Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have acquired Origins, Lost Cities, and part of Rise of Rome (strange circumstance which is still unresolved). I'm noticing that the chips from Origins seem different from those in the other two sets. They feel ceramic-ey with a ridge around the face edge. The others are weighty but look and feel more like plastic with no facing ridge. Were there different chip qualities issued? Or is this a known issue/intentional change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koinsky
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not sure it will answer your question (I'm confused by what you call "ridge"), but since no one answered....

There are 2 "printings" of "The Lost City" and "Rise of Rome". The first (old) one uses a different mold from the new one which was done at the same time as "Origins".

On the picture below, the first printing mold of TLC and RoR is on the right and the new printing mold (used for Origin and the re-print of TLC and RoR) is on the left.

Therefore, you might have a difference between TLC, RoR and Origin depending on the printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulfengaard Hrafnson
United States
Cameron Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is definitely it, thanks. The ridge is the raised area on the face that runs around the outer edge on the example to the left. My Origins has it, but my Lost Cities and Rise chips do not. I suppose Origins isn't typically mixed with the other sets, though, so it might not be much of an issue. I wonder if the expansions feature the new chip type, though. If so, they might not integrate well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koinsky
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I never felt the need to use TLC or RoR chips with Origins which is a nicely balanced stand alone game, IMO. I mixed TLC and RoR chips together, though.

However, if you're thinking of buying the expansions they currently sell on their website to complete your versions of TLC and RoR, I would contact them to know if they currently sell the first or second printing. As you saw, the difference is noticeable and can be embarrassing for face-down chips.

But, you've got a lot of game already without the expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
@Ulfengaard:

Great question! Our first edition material included a thicker chip border than the new one. The newer chips are, in our opinion, quite a bit improved from the first edition.

The older chips were phased out some time in 2014. All of our games, as well as our add-ons, are of the latest edition (new chips).

@koinsky:

That image you shared was a manufacturer image. I am surprised you have it, but maybe Josh posted it somewhere over the past couple years. The Pompeii sticker is on the yellow chip and, even that is incorrect. Looking at it makes me cringe. Even looking at the older chips makes me cringe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koinsky
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Adam, English isn't my first language and to save me some long and confuse explanations, I linked to the image posted in Origins Kickstarter to show the difference between both molds.
So, don't worry, I have no inside to your manufacturing secrets. It has been public knowledge, once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.