Subject: Arrow question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Scott
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I have a nagging question I can't find an answer to.

Are arrows (aka claw head arrow) "ranged"? It says that ammo-bow gets the range of the bow, but it doesn't list "ranged" on the card, and does not say that ammo-bow picks up the ranged keyword. Why I care about the distinction is the Stone Face.

So arrows fired from the Stone Face get +2 accuracy and +2 range? I'd been playing it as a "yes", but think I was wrong.

Technically arrows do not have the Range keyword. In addition, the Stone Face specifically says Ranged weapons gain the bonuses. As discussed in other threads, the arrows are NOT "weapons" (to avoid carrying multiples).

The Stone Face specifically calling for weapons makes me think that arrows do NOT gain the benefits (which is thematically quite odd and might become a house rule).

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Scott
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, I personally think it's a spirit vs. letter of the law thing personally. I think spirit would imply they get the bonuses, but rules lawyer'ing the written rules says no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
A. Adam has shown time and time again that letter of the law is more important than the spirit of it.
B. It's not technically rules lawyering if it's explicitly stated. Arrows don't have the ranged keyword or the weapon keyword. Thus, they are neither ranged nor weapons - Much less ranged weapons.
Problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattonyx wrote:
A. Adam has shown time and time again that letter of the law is more important than the spirit of it.
B. It's not technically rules lawyering if it's explicitly stated. Arrows don't have the ranged keyword or the weapon keyword. Thus, they are neither ranged nor weapons - Much less ranged weapons.
Problem solved.

Are there any arrows that can be used without a bow? Bows have the Ranged keyword, so it seems to me the combination of the two is a Ranged attack and benefits from the appropriate bonuses. I don't think the letter of the rules necessarily say otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ:
Quote:
Although arrows require a bow to be in your gear grid to be activated, arrows and bows are distinct weapons. Arrows to not inherit the qualities of bows they are fired from (cumbersome, cursed, etc). Wounding with an arrow does not make a survivor eligible to earn bow proficiency.

So an arrow IS a weapon.

Is a weapon with range? Even though it doesn't have a printed value, it inherits the range from the bow firing it. So it is a ranged attack.

I vote yes, it does get the +2 accuracy and range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Scott
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already have a number of different interpretations here in this thread!

I send Adam an email asking this question and if you can have multiple copies of the same arrow in a single survivor's gear grid (if not a "weapon" then you can't). Not sure if he still checks the KS email, but I gave it a try. I'll post if I get a response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always treat arrows as a single-shot ammo round to be used with a bow as the main weapon. So to me, yes they are ranged weapons ("arrow" as a melee weapon is absurd), and you just use the ammo stats for that single use during the showdown, instead of the bow's. Otherwise, why would you need a bow to use it? I believe they simply don't qualify as a ranged weapon on their own. That's the reason why just they require one(the bow)to be used, which in turn gives the action of shooting an arrow the "ranged" characteristic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Scott
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
I always treat arrows as a single-shot ammo round to be used with a bow as the main weapon. So to me, yes they are ranged weapons ("arrow" as a melee weapon is absurd), and you just use the ammo stats for that single use during the showdown, instead of the bow's. Otherwise, why would you need a bow to use it? I believe they simply don't qualify as a ranged weapon on their own. That's the reason why just they require one(the bow)to be used, which in turn gives the action of shooting an arrow the "ranged" characteristic.

Do you allow survivors to carry multiples of a specific arrow? Another thread pointed out that as written you can't and that started me down this questioning path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davor
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nathanscott4 wrote:
Shu1984 wrote:

Do you allow survivors to carry multiples of a specific arrow? Another thread pointed out that as written you can't and that started me down this questioning path.

even if you could have multiple arrows of the same type only one would get benefits so all youd get from a claw head arrow for example is another 1/6/6 attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.