Subject: Which comes first: Launch or Saboteur? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is the scenario we just ran into. Three ships had launched and one was left on the pad. I played the saboteur card and placed my astronaut on the one remaining ship that made it full and it should have launched, but the second part of my card states that I blow up one ship left on the launch pad. So, the question is: Do I launch the ship or blow it up (with my own astronaut inside it?

I'm thinking that the launch occurs first and I ignore the blowing up part since there are no ships remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Launch happens at the very end of the character actions, so in this s case the saboteur has to destroy his own ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does it say that in the rules somewhere? This was our first time playing and I wasn't able to find anything about this.

I think our confusion comes from where the rule book states, "When resolving character effects, they must be resolved from top to bottom in the order written on the card." but then immediately states "When a docked ship becomes full, it launches."

The Saboteur card says, "Place 1 astronaut in a docked ship AND destroy 1 docked ship." So, if I follow the text top to bottom I put my 1 astronaut in the docked ship (which made it full in this case). Since the ship is full at this point, it would launch, so I can't carry out the second part of my card action.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Erwin
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Found it. Kept digging through the rules and found my exact situation listed in the card clarification part.

"A player must fully resolve his character’s effect before any full ships can launch.Example: The red player chooses the Saboteur. When he reveals it during the next step, there is only one docked ship at the launchpad. He must place one of his astronauts on the docked ship, which becomes full. Then, he must destroy that ship before it launches."

Thanks again for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Alexidor
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
generic_erwin wrote:
Found it. Kept digging through the rules and found my exact situation listed in the card clarification part.

"A player must fully resolve his character’s effect before any full ships can launch.Example: The red player chooses the Saboteur. When he reveals it during the next step, there is only one docked ship at the launchpad. He must place one of his astronauts on the docked ship, which becomes full. Then, he must destroy that ship before it launches."

Thanks again for the help.

You are right and this is huge! I always felt something was off about the Saboteur and now i know why!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generic_erwin wrote:
Does it say that in the rules somewhere? This was our first time playing and I wasn't able to find anything about this.

I think our confusion comes from where the rule book states, "When resolving character effects, they must be resolved from top to bottom in the order written on the card." but then immediately states "When a docked ship becomes full, it launches."

The Saboteur card says, "Place 1 astronaut in a docked ship AND destroy 1 docked ship." So, if I follow the text top to bottom I put my 1 astronaut in the docked ship (which made it full in this case). Since the ship is full at this point, it would launch, so I can't carry out the second part of my card action.

Thanks for the help.

Just a small heads up. The fellow who asnwered the question is the game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moster Sholby
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I AM the Black Mirror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how does this work with the secret agent? Launches immediately, and then saboteur is played next. The secret agent is no longer on the L-pad so the saboteur cant attack that ship right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyg007 wrote:
how does this work with the secret agent? Launches immediately, and then saboteur is played next. The secret agent is no longer on the L-pad so the saboteur cant attack that ship right?

What's the wording on both cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.