Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be the consequence of playing without Event / Combat cards? Do you think it would break the rules or the balance?

The game would lose a lot of its appeal of course, but as a newbie I found it a bit overwhelming and I was wondering if it might make a reasonable learning game. Also MUCH faster because, as a newbie, one easily spends 50% of the time reading the card effects. And then rereading them...

Some rules would need to be changed of course: what to do with die rolls that allow to play cards? Reroll? Treat them as wild?

If this idea is completely stupid... sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would definitely dramatically change the game. But, I could see the appeal for a learning game (although you lose a lot of the theme, so a new player and LotR fan may not enjoy it as much). Other than rerolling Palantirs, I don't think you would need to change anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Consider this teaching variant which uses only the character event decks and focuses the game more narrowly on the rules affecting the Fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "teaching variant" is nice but it aleters the military aspect of the game a lot. What is nice about just playing without Event Cards is that those cards could just be introduced later in the game, for example:

1) When the Fellowship has travelled at least four regions.

2) When the Witch-King fights the first battle.

This should happen perhaps 30-40% into the game, after the players have got how the game flows, and only if they are not feeling overwhelmed by the rules / there is enough time for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
Other than rerolling Palantirs, I don't think you would need to change anything.

What do you think would happen to the game's balance?

Some things would change quite a bit: Saruman would become almost unkillable without the Ents, the Witch King would lose one awesome ability. The SP would lose lots of opportunities for free movement, the FP many Event Cards that help a lot against corruption...

Do you think one side has more to lose without Event Cards than the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
I suspect that the Shadow would suffer more in the absence of strategy cards to facilitate military blitzes. The early Shadow muster and army cards can determine a lot of a game's narrative, especially in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Harding wrote:
I suspect that the Shadow would suffer more in the absence of strategy cards to facilitate military blitzes. The early Shadow muster and army cards can determine a lot of a game's narrative, especially in the base game.

I have played only once, but I had the impression that the FP's best cards helped the fellowship more than they did militarily. Is this true?

Perhaps it might make a Corruption victory easier but a SP Military victory harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Consider this teaching variant which uses only the character event decks and focuses the game more narrowly on the rules affecting the Fellowship.

This does alter the military rules. The intent is to keep the timer of the shadow military campaign while stripping away the full combat rules, thus allowing the newcomer to just focus on learning the fellowship side of the game. I've been wondering if I should abstract it further and simply have a timeline of FP Strongholds falling, and the possibility of separated Companions influencing that timeline a little to buy the fellowship more time. Your comments above have given me more food for thought - thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
That would criple FP. Without those muster cards or fellowship free movements cards you are dead meat. You cant rely on mustering troops in traditional way. Shadow have enough army to smash you.
SHadow plays from dice and actions while FP is mostly about playing cards and making few moves when needed only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is this opinion:

Paul Harding wrote:

and the opposite one:

Wyrtt wrote:
That would criple FP. Without those muster cards or fellowship free movements cards you are dead meat. You cant rely on mustering troops in traditional way. Shadow have enough army to smash you.
SHadow plays from dice and actions while FP is mostly about playing cards and making few moves when needed only.

Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
A Strider Sprint with Elven rings might or might not be more viable than a cardless Shadow blitz, but I think we can agree that the game would be less interesting without the cards! I would even welcome some random neutral events!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
I like the quick start rules' idea of using cards only for their symbol, ignoring the text. This way you convert event dice to character, army or muster dice via event cards. By reading the cards' titles you can still get a light feeling of additional theme without being overwhelmed by the cards' instructions.

Regarding game balance, this should be a teaching game. I don't care who wins. I think it's the experienced player's duty to give the new player a fair chance, no matter how the game evolves; e.g. start a siege with only a few units just to show how that works. Also point out (obvious) mistakes and allow corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.