The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Can Attachments only be used in action window rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mongo england
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played before years ago and have decided to return to this game for a second journey - so we played that you could tap attachment when required.

Ive watched a few runthrough's - Ive seen people pay to attach steward of gondor during planning the immiediately tap it to gain 2 coins so they could then spend them.

Is this correct - or can attachments only be trigged in action window -
meaning similar question with unexpected courage - If this is attached to hero can they defend then tap U/C to defend again - If attachements can only be played in action window then they wont be able to ready till after all the fighting is done ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Activated abilities, including those on attachments, come in two varieties - response and action. Responses can only be activated when the specified triggering condition happens (for example - core set Aragorn's response). Actions can be activated during any action window, unless their text says otherwise (for example, the Lore version of Aragorn has a refresh action - i.e. an action that can only be taken during the refresh phase). But there are a lot of action windows - it's not just at the end of phases.

Edit: Consider printing a turn sequence reference to make it easier to remember all the action windows. Personally, I like and use this one: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/91892/lord-rings-lcg-turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mongo england
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so as there is only an action window before and after ALL combat you can't use unexpected courage to ready a hero and defend twice ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you look at that linked file at all? There are tons of action windows throughout the Combat phase, and Unexpected Courage can be used in any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would almost be easier to say when you can't take actions. Really just about the only time you can't when you would really want to is during staging. You can take actions before and after you start revealing cards but not during. But other than then pretty much any time it would make sense to take an action you can. So yeah during combat you can defend and then ready with some effect to defend again. There is an action window after each step of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mongo england
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i couldnt open it - was going by the core rules turn sequence .
so your saying theres more windows not listed in the core rules ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
m0ng0 wrote:

The core rules don't make the action windows perfectly clear, thus the numerous turn sequence summaries you'd find here on BGG.

When defending against enemy attacks, you have action windows:
* between resolving different enemies' attacks
* after choosing an enemy whose attack to resolve
* after declaring a defender
* after resolving the enemy's shadow effect
* after determining, and applying, combat damage

When attacking enemies, you have action windows:
* between resolving attacks against different enemies
* after choosing an enemy to attack
* after declaring attackers
* after calculating total attack strength
* after applying damage to the enemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
Getting back to the original questions, you may play Steward of Gondor and immediately exhaust it to gain 2 resources and you may use Unexpected Courage to ready a defender so that he may defend again.

Both Steward of Gondor and Unexpected Courage have Actions (as opposed to Responses). Considering the turn sequence chart at the back of the rulebook, Actions may be used in any of the green blocks but not in the red blocks.

As has already been mentioned, the use of Actions in the combat phase is a bit more restricted than it appears in the chart, but you do still have ample opportunity to use Unexpected Courage.

In the planning phase, you may play a card and resolve any effects triggered by playing that card, and then you may use Actions (such as the Action on Steward of Gondor) before playing your next card.

In the FAQ, it is clarified that in the quest phase the players may use Actions at the beginning and ending of each of the 3 steps (ie. 1) commit characters, 2) staging encounter cards, 3) quest resolution). Again, this is a bit more restricted (regarding step 1) than it appears in the chart.

Otherwise, the chart in the back of the rulebook should give a good idea of when Actions may be used.

I hope this is helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
m0ng0 wrote:

The core rules don't make the action windows perfectly clear, thus the numerous turn sequence summaries you'd find here on BGG.

When defending against enemy attacks, you have action windows:
* between resolving different enemies' attacks
* after choosing an enemy whose attack to resolve
* after declaring a defender
* after resolving the enemy's shadow effect
* after determining, and applying, combat damage

When attacking enemies, you have action windows:
* between resolving attacks against different enemies
* after choosing an enemy to attack
* after declaring attackers
* after calculating total attack strength
* after applying damage to the enemy

These are all perfectly legitimate action windows... just not listed as such in the back of the book, but elsewhere in the rulebook (probably in the combat section) it mentions that action windows are there after each step.
The one to watch out for is when the shadow card resolves, i don't think you get a window for an action straight after that? Am i right??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
The one to watch out for is when the shadow card resolves, i don't think you get a window for an action straight after that? Am i right??

You get an action window between shadow card resolution and determining and applying combat damage, but you can't take actions during shadow card resolution.

Example 1: you're defending an attack, strength 2, with an undamaged Derndingle Warrior (2 def, 3 hp). The shadow card boosts the attack strength to 5, which would kill the Warrior. You have an action window between the shadow and determining combat damage, and can use Derndingle's ability (deal 1 damage to get +3 defense) to increase his defense to 5, saving him.

Example 2: you're defending an attack, strength 2, with a heavily damaged Beregond (4 defense, 1 hp left). You have a Warden of Healing ready, but don't use him because Beregond isn't likely to take damage. The shadow card does 1 damage to defender. There is no action window to heal Beregond before the damage is done, so he is killed and you take a 2-strength undefended attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
JimBGG wrote:

You get an action window between shadow card resolution and determining and applying combat damage, but you can't take actions during shadow card resolution.

Example 1: you're defending an attack, strength 2, with an undamaged Derndingle Warrior (2 def, 3 hp). The shadow card boosts the attack strength to 5, which would kill the Warrior. You have an action window between the shadow and determining combat damage, and can use Derndingle's ability (deal 1 damage to get +3 defense) to increase his defense to 5, saving him.

Example 2: you're defending an attack, strength 2, with a heavily damaged Beregond (4 defense, 1 hp left). You have a Warden of Healing ready, but don't use him because Beregond isn't likely to take damage. The shadow card does 1 damage to defender. There is no action window to heal Beregond before the damage is done, so he is killed and you take a 2-strength undefended attack.

Thank you for the examples ..

So the main difference between those two is that in the second example the Shadow effect resolved 'directly', (onto the defender).. who had no chance to respond... whereas in the first example the shadow effect improved the attackers ability, which then allowed an action window to be played, before the damage was applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.