1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which co-op should we try? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victoria K
msg tools
Poll
Which 2-player co-op should we get next?
Dead Men Tell No Tales
Red November
Ghost Stories
Lord of the Rings Board Game (Silverline)
Mysterium
Other (in comment)
      71 answers
Poll created by Starrybrow

My spouse's favorite type of game is co-op, and anything I can do to get him to play is a good thing . He LOVES Pandemic, as do our gaming groups, so anything that is Pandemic-y will probably go over well! I'm looking for one we can play together on our own, so it should be one that is doable with 2 players (variants are fine) and under 2 hours. (If we're going to do a long game, it will be Arkham Horror or a dungeon crawl.) We tend to enjoy thematic and puzzley games, but replayability is a big factor (ruling out Pandemic Legacy and TIME Stories). Not huge on heavy Euros or deckbuilders, but if a good game happens to be one, nbd.

Own
-Elder Sign
-Witch of Salem
-Arkham Horror
-Legends of Andor
-Forbidden Island
-Pandemic
-Spaceteam
-Yggdrasil
-Escape: The Curse of the Temple
-Mice and Mystics
-Descent

Ordering
-Robinson Crusoe
-Legendary: Marvel
-?? (in the hands of this poll!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm will go over well with a Pandemic-loving group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Police Precinct- a cop game that is pretty fun.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue- a fun and easy to learn Firefighter game. You can also purchase different boards to keep the fun going.
Freedom: The Underground Railroad-a game about runaway slaves pre-Civl War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure is also good

For a silly game experience you could try out Dungeon Fighter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
Defenders of the Realm will go over well with a Pandemic-loving group

Jeff is right on here also I'm worried you won't find any games on that list as good as "legends of andor" was. If you haven't got the star shield expansion it's great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Excellent with 2 players (it's a 1-2 player game)
Playtime under 2 hours
A bit Puzzley (correct timing and taking the right actions is key to winning)
Great replay value
Beautiful artworks
Pre-game deck construction (people love it or hate it)
Steep learning curve
Potential money sink

Freedom: The Underground Railroad
Pandemic: The Cure
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island will probably keep you busy for quite some time -- learning the game and then playing it.

Defenders of the Realm is the obvious alternative to Pandemic.

PS: Consider getting Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham for Elder Sign, it enhances the game on all levels.

Hope this was of help to you, good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematic, puzzley, good replayability, plays well with 2 (particularly using 2 runners each) and shorter = Shadowrun Crossfire. It's technically a deck builder, but it doesn't come across that way since you buy relatively few cards in a game. I find it to feel similar to Pandemic in the sense that you have a lot of looking at the current situations and figuring out who is going to do what and when they will do it just so you can stay alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hanabi

The theme is superfluous, but the gameplay is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgle Bros. is a fun co-op heist themed game from Tim Fowers. My son and I have enjoyed it quite a bit, and every setup is a bit different with the floor layouts...and then you can make up your own wall layouts when you're ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some coop games my gf and me love playing.
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
The Big Book of Madness

Also if the theme doesn't scare you of, instead of Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game I would advise going for 1 of the encounters games.
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game
Or the upcoming Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game
They are Imho better coop games. We found legendary marvel to be a bit lacking as a pure coop game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are in the states, Robinson crusoe is getting a new version later this fall. I would wait for that one. ignacy got the rights back from zman and the new version should have nicer components and a clarified rulebook, from what i heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Jac

McKinney
Texas
msg tools
Co-ops are some of my favorite games.

Burgle Bros is great! Gameplay brings out the heist theme really well.

I have Dead Men Tell No Tales ordered and on the way. Really looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Fincastle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgle Bros or forbidden desert would totally be worth your time. The game mechanics are very similar, but I give the nod to Burgle Bros.

Also, Orleans with the Orleans: Invasion expansion makes a phenomenal co-op game!

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria K
msg tools
So many great suggestions, keep em coming! (Although my decision is getting harder and harder LOL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria K
msg tools
Spukky wrote:

Also if the theme doesn't scare you of, instead of Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game I would advise going for 1 of the encounters games.
Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game
Or the upcoming Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game
They are Imho better coop games. We found legendary marvel to be a bit lacking as a pure coop game.

I have heard that the Aliens one is superior, but since the spouse is a huge Marvel fan and a reluctant gamer in general, I think I can lure him in more easily with the promise of playing out Marvel storylines, which swayed my decision towards it laugh

slaybalj wrote:
If you are in the states, Robinson crusoe is getting a new version later this fall. I would wait for that one. ignacy got the rights back from zman and the new version should have nicer components and a clarified rulebook, from what i heard.

Yes! Miniature Markets has it on preorder for $41 which is a steal. I am thinking of ordering it separately now so that I can start playing the other games right away.

Alextnorris wrote:
Burgle Bros or forbidden desert would totally be worth your time. The game mechanics are very similar, but I give the nod to Burgle Bros.

I hadn't come across Burgle Bros before this thread but it looks really fun! I'd give it the nod over Forbidden Desert too since I have Island and it's not our *favorite* co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Ghost Stories but I'll recommend Mysterium since it is different from the other games you have. Plus, I always thought Mysterium is a game that plays better with more people, then I tried it 2P and it worked!!

If you still want more puzzly games then get Ghost Stories already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd highly recommend checking out Mage Knight, as the deckbuilding creates a new puzzle every hand, and the game seems like one that would be in line with what you like. It can run a bit on the long side, though two-player co-op will squeak in just under two hours. (Also, this is a game where organizing things well can really reduce the setup time.)

If you want something lighter and faster than the games you already have, The Big Book of Madness is very nice for what it is (and one I don't think folks will otherwise mention). Note that playing with fewer players seems to make the game a little easier, so take advantage of the rules that let you adjust the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories would be my vote out of the ones listed. It is fully playable with 2 and is entertaining and has depth yet doesn't go on for too long.

I'll politely disagree about Mysterium with 2. I would only recommend it for 4-5, as it can drag with more but isn't as interesting with fewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Last Stand
London Dread - currently available for Pre-Order from the publisher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Space Alert is the only possible answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually discourage Ghost Stories it's mechanical work and stress. Not enjoyable at all imho. It's also super prone to quarterbacking as adding more players really doesn't add value towards solving the puzzle. It really is just a puzzle.

I would recommend LotR TCG as it tells the story well and each player has hidden resources, hence not qb prone.

I've not played burglar bros it does really look interesting.

From the same designer I've played quite a bit of Paperback which is an awesome game so he does great stuff. I know your not hot on deck builders but this one is bit different and has a really nice coop mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria K
msg tools
Oh dear so I've watched playthroughs and reviews for Mysterium, Burgle Bros , and Defenders of the Last Stand. They all look awesome. (So does Big Book of Madness, for that matter.) What do what do.

Thank you guys again for all the input so far. It's given me a lot to research!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Robinson Crusoe is on your ordering list, I reckon that you will have something to play for a long time (if it meets your taste).
I recommend getting Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1) in addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would recommand Aeon's End if you can wait until November, but it might be too heavy if your spouse is not a gamer.

But the game is excellent and has a huge amount of both interaction and replayability. It also is a deckbuilder but you never shuffle your deck and your actions impact your partner(s) as well (discard a card so they can draw a card/regain a health point, play a card and they can discard the top card of their draw pile...)

The monster invasion/last stand theme is quite interesting as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If either of you are Star Trek Fans, I would suggest Star Trek Panic

It's very thematic. Best to play with 2-4 players. I think the game is challenging Especially since you need cards to commit towards missions as well as deal with enemy threats.

Also From the same makers of the 'Panic' Line is Castle Panic. Without It's expansions it's very easy Though adding the Wizard's tower expansion as well as Titan really does add to the difficulty. They just announced another expansion that adds even more stuff coming in November

With the ones in you poll, I really like Dead men tell no tales. It's 'Pandemicy' enough but also adds theme and an interesting Fatigue mechanic. There an expansion in the works to this one as well but no details.

If you want a challenge, do try and tackly Ghost Stories. It's one tough game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.