Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick C.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this qualifies as a hot deal, but it seemed good enough to share. 5 rolls of uncirculated Ukrainian coins in denominations of 1, 2, 5, 10 and 25. These work great as a coin substitute for many games. Only 8 left.

Ukrainian Coins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam F.
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Noom-noom-Numeron, send us food to chew-mer-on.
badge
Ed's chunk just spun in place, forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
The backsides of the coins are all the same it appears, with the obvious exception of the metal colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
$40/250 = 16 cents per coin

seems it would be cheaper to go to the bank and get several rolls of pennies, nickels and dimes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
$40/250 = 16 cents per coin

seems it would be cheaper to go to the bank and get several rolls of pennies, nickels and dimes....

Cheaper, but you don't get the exotic look of unfamiliar coins.

Well, exotic unless you are from the Ukraine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Push your luck! Wait for the eBay "$15 off a $75 purchase" flash sale. Buy two sets and get a reduced price for shipping to boot! laugh

"Combine shipping: All bidders pay shipping cost 19.99 $ for first item and have a discount $10.00 on shipping cost for each additional item."

(Or does the eBay flash sale not include shipping?)

EDIT: I CANNOT COUNT. laugh Even more reason to buy coins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bahamas have some really cool coins. I think it's more cost-effective, though, to just wait until you're in a foreign country and stock up on coins at that time. I've bought some Bahamas coins and some Indian coins on eBay and I've found the cost just isn't worth it for some metal bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Kazakhstan coins myself. Never found a good deal on them though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
yeahbowen wrote:
I like Kazakhstan coins myself. Never found a good deal on them though.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
aaj94 wrote:
The Bahamas have some really cool coins. I think it's more cost-effective, though, to just wait until you're in a foreign country and stock up on coins at that time. I've bought some Bahamas coins and some Indian coins on eBay and I've found the cost just isn't worth it for some metal bits.

Excellent idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam F.
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, assuming the current conversion rate from rubles to USD, the 250 coins are worth $3.315 just as pure currency. So really it's like you're only paying $36.685. What a deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
johnjon wrote:
Technically, assuming the current conversion rate from rubles to USD, the 250 coins are worth $3.315 just as pure currency. So really it's like you're only paying $36.685. What a deal!

Those aren't rubles they're kopiyka (1/100 of a hryvnia). You've vastly over valued them. The actual total value is more like 87 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam F.
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
johnjon wrote:

Those aren't rubles they're kopiyka (1/100 of a hryvnia). You've vastly over valued them. The actual total value is more like 87 cents.

Hey, man, you telling me Wikipedia's lying to me? "One ruble is divided into 100 kopeks."

By my math, 50 * 25 + 50 * 10 + 50 * 5 + 50 * 2 + 50 * 1 = 2150 kopecks / 100 = 215 rubles = $3.315 USD.

I'm taking the word of the eBay auctioneer, Wikipedia, and Google all at face value -- there's no way it could be inaccurate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
johnjon wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
johnjon wrote:

Hey, man, you telling me Wikipedia's lying to me? "One ruble is divided into 100 kopeks."

By my math, 50 * 25 + 50 * 10 + 50 * 5 + 50 * 2 + 50 * 1 = 2150 kopecks / 100 = 215 rubles = $3.315 USD.

I'm taking the word of the eBay auctioneer, Wikipedia, and Google all at face value -- there's no way it could be inaccurate!

Sorry I should have said Ukrainian kopiyka are 1/100 of a hryvnia. Like saying cents or dollars, kopiyka doesn't refer to only currency in the world. Though I did misplace my decimal... $8.67 in th US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My personal faves are Armenian. I'd love to get these at face value!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
If one lived in a major city, could one get international coinage from a currency exchange.

Not the kind that is on every corner, but surely there is somewhere in Chicago that takes international coinage and would also be willing to sell it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
What gets me is I is that I don't really need a set of 250 coins.

I was thinking grab two sets of for 100 of each denomination and then an additional roll of 1s and then split everything 5 ways.

30 x 1
20 x 2
20 x 5
20 x 10
20 x 25

That would be more than enough for just about any game I would end up using these with and I have identical sets to sell, give away, or trade.

By comparison, the recently released Scythe (which plays up to 5) contains a similar distribution but 30 fewer coins:

25 x 1
15 x 3
15 x 5
15 x 10
10 x 20

And those coins will run $30 + shipping when they start being sold separately later this year.

Anyone in the US interested in a similar split? Maybe $15-17 + shipping? I'm thinking a small flat rate box. There'd be room for 4 in this hypothetical group buy.

GM me if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
For the majority of games that only require lower denominations, it might be better to buy rolls of 1, 5 and 10's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Suvanto
msg tools
mbmb
eilif wrote:
If one lived in a major city, could one get international coinage from a currency exchange.

Not the kind that is on every corner, but surely there is somewhere in Chicago that takes international coinage and would also be willing to sell it?

Most currency exchanges will only deal with bills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
otnavuskire wrote:
eilif wrote:

Indeed - most will only deal in cash values that you would be crazy to use for gaming. $1 New Zealand is an expensive bit of game bling, and that's the lowest value coin I have seen in a currency exchange.

JBMoby wrote:
What gets me is I is that I don't really need a set of 250 coins.

I was thinking grab two sets of for 100 of each denomination and then an additional roll of 1s and then split everything 5 ways.

30 x 1
20 x 2
20 x 5
20 x 10
20 x 25

That would be more than enough for just about any game I would end up using these with and I have identical sets to sell, give away, or trade.

I have been thinking along similar lines. The eBay seller also offers rolls of 50 coins (1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50 kopeck). 2x "base sets" + extra rolls of 1 (x2), 2, 5 (x2) and 50. That gives 5 sets of:

40 x 1 40
30 x 2 60
40 x 5 200
20 x 10 200
20 x 25 500
20 x 50 1000

170 coins, bank value 2000

I'm not at all convinced that the extra 2 kopeck coins are terribly useful, but having more 5s seems handy. The 2000 value bank has no special significance except that it is neat and tidy.

In any case, if any Australians are interested, geekmail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this... These I want a set of

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
madaxer wrote:
Now this... These I want a set of

At £26 for a £2 coin it's gonna be expensive to get a collection going...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Brooking
United States
Carnation
Washington
flag msg tools
Cult of the used.
mbmbmbmbmb
otnavuskire wrote:
eilif wrote:

Years ago I went into Thomas Cook in Bellevue, WA and was able to buy a bunch of coins at cost specifically because they do not deal in coins but they get them when people are exchanging ALL of their money.

The downside was that they were from all over the world. But they looked cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.