Popular Tags: [View All]
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
I'm contemplating getting this game and from what I've seen there are expansion boxes of the minis that come in the base game. But you'd need 3 boxes of Aliens, 1 box of Marines and 1 box of Predators to make up the contents of the base game, right? So wouldn't it be more efficient to buy a second base game? Not sure if the tiles and such would be useful to have a second set of, but at least for the minis it seems like the better deal to me.
Unless you don't need more of the same minis - but then there wouldn't be expansion boxes of the same minis, right?

So, what do you think? Would a second core box be a useful thing to have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Carter
msg tools
It is entirely up to you which you would prefer to get, if you can find the games at a pretty good discount I would say go for it. However if you never plan to use the extra tiles, dice, doors, and other materials besides the models included in the second set; don't pay an extra 40-60 dollars for stuff you won't use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, adding up the cost for the individual expansion boxes I'd have to buy to get what's in the core set, I'd be paying about 20 Euros extra. So even if I never used any of the extra stuff in a second core set besides the minis, I'd still be saving money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Carter
msg tools
Fair enough. However, the main reason that there are duplicate expansions of what's already included in the core set is in case you really want to beef up forces and maintain tactical versatility (your talking around 30-50 Aliens with a Queen thrown in the mix). My personal recommendation for just starting out would be 1 Marine expansion (either a Power Loader or an extra squad), and an Alien Warriors expansion. This way you can flush out the game without it forcing you to get creative or having to figure out the convoluted force building rules (I have heard fixes are on the way, but at the moment unit costs are extremely unbalanced) Another thing to know is that the units in the core set are NOT properly balanced against one another.

It's up to you, whatever you decide. I found I was able to make the game pretty enjoyable by just adding Alien Warriors and the Power Loader and don't need to get any more than that... at least until the rule changes become official that is (I have plans for a custom scenario that uses virtually every expansion that has been announced so far)

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hmm ... good points.

A Power Loader sounds like a nice addition indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul k
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The problem is the base games weighs a lot .it might be as much as 6kg when it's put in a box for posting . So although buying the boxset does cost less than buying the figures individually you might lose out on shipping .
At present Prodos have everything AVP discounted by 30-40%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.