8 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spawning What's Already Spawned rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Jacobs
msg tools
Hi,

I tried checking through errata and other forums and haven't come across an answer to this one just yet. Research Encounter #15 for Shub-Niggurath has the following as part of its City encounter:

"Spawn a Goat Spawn Monster on your space and encounter it."

If all Goat Spawn are already present on the game board, how would this effect work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off. The Ancient one sheet tells you to remove it from the monster bag. Second if it says encounter. You encounter it. Kill or not. afther encounter you put it back where you put it aside from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Jacobs
msg tools
The Goat Spawn are already on the board through the Cultists' Reckoning effect. They were set aside at the start of the game as instructed. Secondly, what you're describing sounds like an Ambush effect while this is a Spawn effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You try to spawn a Goat Spawn and fail.
As you haven't spawned anything, there's no "it" you could encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yeah, it's only an ambush if it says ambush; this is indeed a (nonstandard) spawn effect and can thus fizzle if the token is in use (for ambushes you can always look at the token wherever it may be so those do not fizzle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Jacobs
msg tools
Okay, so the encounter just goes to waste then. That's how we decided to play it out but I wasn't sure if we were missing something. Thank you both for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Eldritch Horror Forums.

You always get really fast precise answers.

Thumbs up @ haroth, Weltenreiter and all the other usual suspects which I forgot to mention^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Drasinius wrote:
Okay, so the encounter just goes to waste then.
You can do a lot worse than merely getting a wasted encounter in EH. goo

(I guess one could move the nearest appropriate monster to the space in question if one wants to avoid this waste for thematic reasons, much like new ship spawns in M&M move the old version of that nation's ship)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.