Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning how to play this amazing surfing game that I received this week. The artwork is awesome. This is the cover of the Collector's Edition. I guess my box was #239!

And there are solo rules!

I played a solo short board game. You can play against bots or just against yourself. I played alone to learn the rules and get a feel for the game. When you play this way you try to beat your high score.

The aim of the game is to catch the best waves. The two best waves are scored. Scoring is based on maneuver complexity and other variables such as catching barrels using stoke and riding a wave all the way to shore.

My first wave was terrible as I discovered the hard way that one needs to keep small cards to stay on a short board and not wipe out!

So this is the situation on the last turn of the game where I rode this great wave to shore.

What you see here is how I scored the 7 in the last turn of the game by doing a cutback, catching a barrel, exiting it with a vertical snap then going off the lip and finally riding it all the way to the beach!

Sounds complex? Nope it's simple fast and fun!

And it feels like real surfing!

Can't wait to play again, perhaps trying a long board or even competing against a bot.

Also, I am very excited to take this on a family and friend trip to Costa Rica in a week where surfers and non-surfers alike will be able to compete on a level (wavy?) playing field
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E B
msg tools
I really like the storage container for the game pieces! Where did you get that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eburgess4 wrote:
I really like the storage container for the game pieces! Where did you get that?

Yes the container is awesome! I think this is the one:

https://amzn.com/B000RB3XOM?tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

And one of the best things about it is the rounded edges inside each compartment which makes taking the pieces out very easy!

Also the die fit in the rectangle perfectly!

I also removed the insert from the game box so sleeved cards and the storage container fit just great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
"Thick as a Snicker" ~ ♫ "Your uncle says to, says to tell you, You are a monkey girl."♫
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:

Sounds complex? Nope it's simple fast and fun!

Totally agree. We bumbled about with the rules, actions and flow of a round during our first playthrough, but I Think we now have most of it understood.
The stoke tokens weigh heavily in our decisions.

provence wrote:

And it feels like real surfing!

I've tried surfing a couple of times, but did boogie boarding for many summers, so the variable strength of the incoming waves is a very creative implement.
When advancing the surf and rolling the next wave's die, I can't stop making a slushy surf sound of the water rushing up on the sand.

provence wrote:

Can't wait to play again, perhaps trying a long board or even competing against a bot.
The balancing between the long and short boards is a neat aspect.
My first attempt with the long board I thought it was a sure way to consistently gain points strongly balanced riding the waves, but then I realized those '4' cards are not allowed.
Catching a barrel is tough on them.
Also to earn a 'hang ten' seems a very tough accomplishment, but of course my wife earned it on her purple long board.

Great game and my wife loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a copy of the link without the referral:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RB3XOM/?tag=article-boardgameg...

This is for people who are using other referrals or who just want the plain link. The box is perfect for Tavarua!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.