Subject: When is new TableTop? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamara D
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Thought it supposed to start June / July?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He wrote on his blog (see http://wilwheaton.net/2016/05/wrapping-up-tabletop-season-4/... )
Quote:
As far as I know, new episodes will be released starting in July.

On this page (http://wilwheaton.net/2016/04/heres-the-game-lineup-for-tabl... ) he wrote
Quote:
The exact order that we’re releasing episodes and the exact timeline for the release isn’t set yet, and it isn’t up to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamara D
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Thank you, am I only one excited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh J
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm excited purely because TaBle Top is what got me into this hobby. Wil has said that the release date is Not up to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't find any new updates... is there any big delay issue? Somebody knows something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited because it too got me into the hobby. Hopefully they will start posting shows again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wil posted near the end of July that Legendary has decided to delay the release. There's no announced release date that I know of, although he did say it would be "later this year".

https://www.reddit.com/r/geekandsundry/comments/4uztuq/table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how true it is, but I heard a rumor that legendary wanted to create a payed subscription kind of thing. Hopefully this isn't delayed for that. I love tabletop, but I'm not going to pay a subscription to watch. Back when they had a funding campaign I supported that, and I would support something like that again. Ultimately, I think the transfer to Legendary is going to kill the whole thing for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the info.

I hope you heard wrong, that would be a real bummer. So Legendary bought Geek&Sundry? :O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/legendary-digital-subsc...

There's a link to an article if you care to read. I'm not sure what it really means or if tabletop will be a part of it. I personally find this information coupled with the delay of tabletop, and the complete silence on their part regarding release a little suspicious. I can't help but feel that it's connected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link

Don't use geek URLs. I wouldn't doubt this is the type of thing that is providing a stumbling block. Kind of infuriating when they ran a campaign to fund the show and now are looking into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bolton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been so ready for the new season. I have kept looking every week for a new episode. It is crazy I haven't found any updates outside of Wil saying the season has been pushed back until later this year by Legendary. I don't see how this season would fit in Legendary's live interactive seeing how the season has already been filmed...Unless they try to give away copies of the game they are playing that episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Link

Don't use geek URLs. I wouldn't doubt this is the type of thing that is providing a stumbling block. Kind of infuriating when they ran a campaign to fund the show and now are looking into this.

The ran a campaign to run the previous season. This is a new season and they have sold out to "the man" for funding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looking at £5 a month? sorry but they don't have the content to make that worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Im looking forward to their eldritch horror episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mav___ wrote:
looking at £5 a month? sorry but they don't have the content to make that worthwhile.

If this would indeed put "Tabletop" behind a paywall, I think they have picked exactly the wrong time to be doing that. I would contend that this will blunt market penetration just at the time when mainstream cross-over for hobby games is right on the edge of taking place, but not quite there (I would say it needs another year to break out). That's very much the time you want your content to be as freely available as possible, I would argue. I don't have access to Legendary's sums though, and there's lots of possible drivers for this - maybe Wanda Group, who acquired Legendary in January, are now pushing for monetisation of G&S assets to get an early showing of RoI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been looking so much forward to this - basically checking Geek and Sundry every other week for months now and looking for updates from Wil

Paaaatience is tough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Burdett
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link. Tabletop was the only show that I was even remotely interested in and I'm not willing to take on another subscription for just one show. It was nice while it lasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tabletop was a good show, it was educational, entertaining and must have brought a lot of people into board games. RIP Tabletop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
RIP Tabletop

Amazon Prime, Netflix, and HBO is my limit. (And I cut the cord almost a decade ago.)

Too much other free content availble to justify another subscription and not enough hours in the day.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Well. A show whose greatest strength was to reach out to potential boardgamers and demonstrate how much fun the hobby could be has, if the rumours are true, ditched its primary audience. There's plenty of free gameplay videos around, even if they're a little less polished and don't feature Wil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are people declaring the show dead already? It's delayed and Legendary is setting up a paid subscription. Of course it's logical to guess that the two might be related, but there is no official statement saying TT will end up behind a paywall.
With TT being a show aimed mostly at new gamers, wouldn't it make much more sense for them to delay it to advertise their subscription in free content, for example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
Why are people declaring the show dead already? It's delayed and Legendary is setting up a paid subscription. Of course it's logical to guess that the two might be related, but there is no official statement saying TT will end up behind a paywall.
With TT being a show aimed mostly at new gamers, wouldn't it make much more sense for them to delay it to advertise their subscription in free content, for example?

What else does G&S have that people would pay for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:

They can merely add in ads to previously done episodes. It is dead for many since they won't be watching. I had got tired of the series, but I won't be paying up to watch the new stuff if that's where they are going. Those rules better tight as all can get out if people are literally paying to watch, and Wil is willing to throw a co-worker under the bus for it despite the show never being that great with rules accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mav___ wrote:
Wormaap wrote:

What else does G&S have that people would pay for?

If I read the article correctly, Legendary has more brands/channels than just G&S. And some 'yadayada interactive bla bla'. To me, it looks like they're planning new content.

Quote:
They can merely add in ads to previously done episodes. It is dead for many since they won't be watching. I had got tired of the series, but I won't be paying up to watch the new stuff if that's where they are going. Those rules better tight as all can get out if people are literally paying to watch, and Wil is willing to throw a co-worker under the bus for it despite the show never being that great with rules accuracy.

Adding ads afterwards doesn't seem quite as productive as editing some 'Hey guys, we have new awesome stuff' into the video before it is released. And adding ads after many people have already watched it doesn't seem like quite as effective as having them there from the beginning.

Maybe TT will end up behind a paywall, maybe it won't. I just think that declaring the show dead because of it before any statement has been made is premature.

Side note: I don't even watch TT, so it's not like I'm in 'wishful thinking' mode or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.