Monopoly Deal Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Dispute Resulting in Near Brawl rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Ducey
United States
flag msg tools
I have a major Monopoly deal dilemma.

Last night, my friend put down two property wild cards and declared them a full set. That's only one half of the issue, and, quite frankly, I'm okay with it (though I'm not 100% sure it counts).

My real issue comes from the fact that he then declared that full set as a "Boardwalk/Park Place" combo and claimed he could charge "Boardwalk/Park Place" rent based on that declaration.

I explained to him that these cards have no inherent value beyond their ability to help evolve an incomplete set of real property cards into the characteristics of a full set.

Further, sometimes the ONLY way to determine the rent values for a particular property is to dig through the set and read the relevant cards themselves. Obviously, a game that required its participants to look through a deck of cards to find information would be a flawed one. The act of looking through the cards would provide all participants with more information about the cards in the deck, requiring a reshuffle.

Monopoly Deal runs on the fuel of logical elegance. It's the thrill of a 7 hour game in 10 minutes. And you play for 7 hours because of how good those 10 minute games are.

I doubt the makers would endorse my friend's clumsy interpretation.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't see an explicit rule in the edition I have here, but it does say right on the rainbow wild cards that they may be used as *part* of any property set, not *as* a property set.

Furthermore, I would take the very reasonable position (in my judgment) that the color of a wild card is not defined until it is linked to a property card; until that happens, the wild card is a yet to be defined possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

I don't see an explicit rule in the edition I have here, but it does say right on the rainbow wild cards that they may be used as *part* of any property set, not *as* a property set.

Furthermore, I would take the very reasonable position (in my judgment) that the color of a wild card is not defined until it is linked to a property card; until that happens, the wild card is a yet to be defined possibility.

Hasbro has fielded many rules questions over the years, enough to merit a web site that collates and shows them.

The closest answer for you is this:
http://monopolydealrules.com/index.php?page=property#questio...

Which is precisely what your interpretation was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Should have paused the game and played a game of real Monopoly with the winner of that game getting the rules interpretation of their choice in the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee marrett
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
The rules say the multicolored property wild cards have no inherent value beyond just being a part of a set. You *can* play a multicolored property wild card on its own, but they can't be used to charge rent, unless they're paired with another property card (including a normal property wild card).

It wasn't clear to me whether you were talking about any wild card or just the multicolored ones though; you can make a full set out of just the single colored wild cards and charge rent for them.

So for example: I have two brown/light-blue property wild cards and a multicolored property wild card in my hand. I could play all three of those cards as light-blue to complete the light-blue set. I could then play a light-blue rent card next turn to charge you rent on that property.

If you had two multicolored property wild cards you could use them to make a complete brown set but you can't charge rent on them later as they have no value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.