Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my intention to write a brief review (around 300 words) of every game that I play over the coming months. It won't quite be a random sample of games but there is likely to be quite a range; some will be games that I've played many times before, others will be first impressions of games new to me, some I will like, some I will hate, some I may be predisposed to like or hate before I even sit down to them. I make no apologies for this but I will lead with an estimated number of plays and my rating.

Plays: 1
My rating: 8.5

Once again, I'm starting by saying; "I don't really like trick-taking games but..." A lot of my gaming-buddies really like trick-takers-with-a-twist so I often find myself reluctantly playing them. In the case of Nyet! though, my reluctance melted away very quickly.

The twist of Nyet! is that, having seen your hand, you get to choose which suit will be trumps, whether cards will be discarded, who will partner with who, how many points each trick is worth and so on - for that hand. You choose by taking turns to rule options out until everything is decided. In this way, you have some control over how the hand is played and can potentially infer things about your opponents' cards from what they rule out.

This additional step moves Nyet! from being just a trick taking game to being something more: It is a card-game and so it is still luck driven but there's a lot that can be done to mitigate a bad hand – indeed it’s not always clear at the start of a round what type of hand will be good or bad – and a lot more decisions to make about the best way to play a hand. The shifting team element also brings additional tactical decisions not only who it’s best to partner with based on ongoing scoring but also based on what you’ve inferred about players’ hands in the initial round. All in all, it makes for a really engaging and varied game from simple rules and few components - exactly my kind of thing.

We played with the ‘97 Goldsieber edition which is very portable and has simple, abstracted printblock-type artwork - which I really rather like. I am currently on the look-out for a copy of this edition, though I might buy the recent larger, fancier iello edition if it's all that's available (I believe there are also some minor rules changes in the newer editions – like adding the option of a fifth player and the possibility for tricks being worth negative points). Either way, I am looking to pick up a copy because Nyet! is the trick-taker I’ve been looking for.

In short, would I pass-up a chance to play this again? Nyet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also included in the Mü & Lots More collection (NB not Mu & more) along with the also-excellent Was Sticht and Mu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
It's also included in the Mü & Lots More collection (NB not Mu & more) along with the also-excellent Was Sticht and Mu.

Yes it is! As far as I could tell from the images, the Mu version has some of the additional rules now in the iello edition but is only for four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.