Subject: One suggeston about the graphics on the board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.
I was looking at the photographs of this game and I saw something strange!

I read in the description that this game is about the Roman Empire.
But on the board you used a picture of modern Italia.
And you used the word "Italia" too!
Italia (Italy) as a nation and republic is born in 1981. Before that there were just lots of different nations fighting each other.

I suggest you to don't use the word "Italia" and write something else (Roman Empire? I don't know...something like that). Also use a different picture. Maybe a drawing of the Roman Empire in that years.

I don't want to be "picky". I just want to help you a little bit with your game. That's all!
Bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding Fathers: Before politics became a reality show.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
"Roman Italy was created officially by the Roman Emperor Augustus with the Latin name Italia."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Italy

1981?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mollineaux
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kotetsujeeg wrote:
Hello.
I was looking at the photographs of this game and I saw something strange!

I read in the description that this game is about the Roman Empire.
But on the board you used a picture of modern Italia.
And you used the word "Italia" too!
Italia (Italy) as a nation and republic is born in 1981. Before that there were just lots of different nations fighting each other.

I suggest you to don't use the word "Italia" and write something else (Roman Empire? I don't know...something like that). Also use a different picture. Maybe a drawing of the Roman Empire in that years.

I don't want to be "picky". I just want to help you a little bit with your game. That's all!
Bye

Thanks for your comment and interest--I'll always appreciate constructive criticism.

In an attempt to simplify game play and to keep things interesting I've had to 'toy' a little with the facts, making the game something less than a true historical simulation. I chose "Italia" because I couldn't find anything better to represent this administrative division of the Republic. According to Wikipedia:

The name Italia covered an area whose borders evolved over time. According to Strabo's Geographica, before the expansion of the Roman Republic, the name was used by Greeks to indicate the land between the strait of Messina and the line connecting the gulf of Salerno and gulf of Taranto (corresponding roughly to the current region of Calabria); later the term was extended by Romans to include the Italian peninsula up to the Rubicon, a river located between Northern and Central Italy.

It's true that the graphic is of modern-day Italy and Sicily which includes land north of the Rubicon, but (sigh) I'm lazy and figured it would be easier for players to recognize.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised! That's not what they teach us at school!
We use terms like "Italian peninsula" to talk about Italy before the national unity. Only after unification we can call it Italia.

I know that the term was introduces way back by the greeks and then used by romans but it refers to a little area in the south of Italy. They used terms like Roma and Roman Empire instead.

Ehi...I need to know more about it now!

PS: I don't trust wikipedia! It's always better an old classic serious book instead! :-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.