Circus Train (Second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Big score, what am I missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Hello,

We played our first game of Circus Train today, 4p.
By mid July we already had 100+ points and our best performance was between 20-40. Now the rules clearly state that most of the time the points will not go past 50 and the best performance will go past 100(that's why the counter has 100+ in the back side).

So we clearly missed something. Thing is, I read the rules twice and I couldn't find what went wrong.

Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the obvious first question is, what were you awarding points for, and how frequently? Scoring should only happen at the end of each month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else was asking about abnormally high scores recently, albeit as a solo game: Solo game too easy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Interociter wrote:
I suppose the obvious first question is, what were you awarding points for, and how frequently? Scoring should only happen at the end of each month.

We scored for best performance and most talents at the end of each month and also each scored after every perform action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Decker
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From Page 11, scoring is done at the end of each month, so 6 times during the game. The highest best performance is awarded 7 points. So if you achievd the high score every month, you would have 42 points, and that would actually be 40 because you just get 5 for April.

Now you also get points for the points counters that show up, but there aren't many of those, and they are only a few points each.

And then you can score by having the most of a talent type as long as you have at least two. But that won't net too many points either.

And then there is additional end of the game scoring, but you can lose points there.

So it's pretty rare for points to go much past 50 in a game.

- Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Decker
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Interociter wrote:

We scored for best performance and most talents at the end of each month and also each scored after every perform action.

Ah, you don't score victory points for performances. You just get a performance score, and you record only your best one. And then you score victory points at the end of the month based on those scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Got it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.