$15.00
$5.00
Miranda Folland
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of my games without any expansions, we've found a great lack of resources. People usually play their starting production tile early in the game when they only have two Vassals. Too soon, the production tile is gone as everyone has been forced to remove their Vassal off of the production tile as a main action. Production tiles may not show up again for a long time and we struggle painfully until one does. Are other people's games like that too?

By using the homecoming module, I would expect it to allow players more consistent access to resources. However, there's a downside. The mechanism of taking a Homecoming card encourages players to retrieve all of their Vassals, which again sends production tiles into the Chronicle area too soon. It can also shorten the game as players don't leave their Vassals on tiles as long in general.

Also, adding the Leadership tiles can dilute the stack so that production tiles don't come out as often.

I've not yet got enough experience playing with the Homecoming or Leadership modules to determine if they help or hinder access to resources. Has anyone else got any experience with managing resources in your game, with or without Homecoming and/or Leadership modules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Koester
United States
Cornelius
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this was just part of the learning curve of the game. Once you become aware of the transient nature of all of the action tiles, then you become much more careful about how they are deployed. This also makes you much more cautious with how your vassals are retrieved.

My recollection is that my first game ran somewhat like you describe. I recall been frustrated, but I also recall not having much choice. I needed the production to advance at all and it was everything I could do to maintain the production tile as long as I did.

Personally I like the unpredictability that this brings to the game. With most worker placement games, all the resources are available equally to all players and victory comes down to optimal action sequence. Everything can come down to player order. In Simurgh, there is a certain amount of luck in the draw of the tiles, but once revealed you have a great deal of control over how long the associated action remains available. Some people seem to really dislike games where a random element can disrupt a well formulated strategy. I have no such illusions. Not every play of every game should be equally winnable. Sometimes fate just gives you a big fat NOPE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we have found our games to be very tight on resources. however its not really too hard to pick up your first extra worker from your starting resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miranda Folland
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a very fun 5 player game with new players except me, and all the expansions except Quests.

There were plenty of resources coming from the Homecoming cards, Wizard exploration and production tiles. People were commenting on how essential the Homecoming cards were and I found that it did not really shorten the game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.