Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Vargo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When taking new stones, according to page 4 of the rules:

"Take 3 stones of your color from the stone quarry and place them on your supply sled token. Note: your supply sled token has enough space for a maximum of 5 stones! For example, if you only have space for 2 stones and you choose this action, you can only take 2 stones from the quarry."

We are trying to figure out the limitations of this rule...

1) If a player chooses "Get new stones" action, and they only have room for 1 or 2 stones before reaching 5 on their sled, are the extra stones lost (and returned to the supply)?

2) Can a player elect to take only 1 or 2 stones instead of 3 (probably not, hence "take 3 stones"....)

3) Is a player not allowed to use the take stones action if they can't fit all 3 on the sled? (Probably not, hence the example)

In summary, should the wording be "Take up to 3 stones..." Or "Any stones taken that won't fit on the sled are returned to the supply"

As a side note, we were taught and had played for some time that if you can't fit 3 stones, you may not take stones ("3 stones, no more, no less"). Makes for an interesting variant.

(Sincere answers are welcome, snide comments are not unless your Napolean complex demands it. In that case, fire away!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this language was weird. We interpreted it as up to 3. It makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took it to mean take up to three stones, if your sled has room. Why you would take just one or two if you had the room for three baffles me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephen,

the teachin/variant does indeed give some tactical options

But is is as you said:

1) True.
2) No, he needs to take three. Actually why do you not want to take the maximum.
3) You can take the action as long as there is one space left on your sled. Plus: You are not allowed to take the action when there is no room left on your sled. Phil answered it it here: New stones with full supply sled?

A wording take up to three would lead the persons to being allowed to take 0 too. The later note is the same for me, as you do only fill your sled until its capacity is reached. No need to take the more than you actually need.

In the rare instance that your supply on stones is depleted, you are not allowed to take the "Take 3 stones" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Vargo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Why you would take just one or two if you had the room for three baffles me.

It may at times be advantageous to force your opponent to take their turn before you, therefore it would be used to stall and force them to go first."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.