Subject: A more detailed theme poll, no bacon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how people's fondness for theme breaks down by gaming sub-group. To clarify the data I'm only allowing one choice. That distorts things, of course. I realize that many of us like/love many kinds of games, however, allowing multiple choices leads to a muddier picture than I wanted to achieve. There are downsides to every polling choice.

Also, there's no bacon in this poll. Sorry. If I get 500 responses I'll post a bacon poll.

EDIT: Copy and paste + not enough proofreading = Oops.

Poll
How would you characterize the kind of gamer you are AND your desire for a pleasing theme (flavor) in the games that you play/purchase?
I am, primarily, a Euro gamer, and I do not care about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a Euro gamer, and I care a little bit about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a Euro gamer, and I care moderately about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a Euro gamer, and I care a great deal about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an Ameritrasher, and I do not care about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an Ameritrasher, and I care a little bit about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an Ameritrasher, a Euro gamer, and I care moderately about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an Ameritrasher, and I care a great deal about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a wargamer, and I do not care about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a wargamer, and I care a little bit about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a wargamer, a Euro gamer, and I care moderately about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a wargamer, and I care a great deal about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a light/casual gamer, and I do not care about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a light/casual gamer, and I care a little bit about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a light/casual gamer, a Euro gamer, and I care moderately about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a light/casual gamer, and I care a great deal about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a coop gamer, and I do not care about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a coop gamer, and I care a little bit about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a coop gamer, a Euro gamer, and I care moderately about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, a coop gamer, and I care a great deal about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an 18xx gamer, and I do not care about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an 18xx gamer, and I care a little bit about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an 18xx gamer, a Euro gamer, and I care moderately about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an 18xx gamer, and I care a great deal about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an abstract gamer, and I do not care about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an abstract gamer, and I care a little bit about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an abstract gamer, a Euro gamer, and I care moderately about having a pleasing theme.
I am, primarily, an abstract gamer, and I care a great deal about having a pleasing theme.
      146 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am, primarily, a bacon eater...

Pete (feels left out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ehh, none of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like you took all the same misconceptions you have and just tried to nail them to some sort of general made up categories of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primarily an Ameritrasher with a smattering of Wargames here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No bacon, no deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
WetRock wrote:
It's like you took all the same misconceptions you have and just tried to nail them to some sort of general made up categories of people.

The bigger problem is the question of identity. Is one a FOO player because one plays FOO, or is one a "FOO player" because one adheres to or claims the values commonly ascribed to the label "FOO"?

As a recent and more pointed for-instance, I was recently asked to either join the Heavy Cardboard guild or to cease posting to it. Now I have no agreement with or interest in the Heavy Cardboard guild, its precepts or its purposes and have no wish to represent that I do -- and as such joining the guild would be ludicrous. However I am interested in a few games which are sometimes discussed within Heavy Cardboard and have posted to those threads[1]. So, which is more significant?

[1] To be fair, the threads I post tend to get many more replies than other threads, but it is not clear if I'm casual or correlative there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why is it if I care moderately about having a pleasing theme I am always characterized as also being a Eurogamer... by that logic shouldn't anyone who cares a great deal about it be an Ameritrash gamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What is a pleasing war theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I can't be a wargamer and an Ameritrasher, who appreciates some Euros?

How come only Eurogamers can be gamers of other genres?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what "pleasing" means, in this context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A more detailed theme poll, no bac
So we can definitvely say that if you moderately care about theme, you're some sort of hybrid Eurogamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a list of very thematic Eurogames; always trying to scope out more of those. Splotter and Sierra Madre do pretty well in that space. What other gems are out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My view of theme changes based on the type of game I am playing and I played a wide range of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didnt remove Eurogamer from some of the options. You need to make another new poll!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Ehh, none of the above.

I can't put a "Clearclaw" choice into every poll. It'd be favoritism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It has little to do with me and more to do with the idea of hewing to any nominated game family or such external description seeming rather silly. I and a great many people just play games. Finis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, messed up my own poll.

Poll
What should skutsch have done?
Proofread his poll
Bacon
      38 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Bah, messed up my own poll.

Poll
What should skutsch have done?
Proofread his poll
Bacon
      38 answers
Poll created by skutsch
Finally!

Pete (voted first)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I and a great many people just play games. Finis.

But surely you have preferences for what you play?

I nearly added "for fun", but then remembered who I was talking to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Doesn't a wargame automatically (by definititon?) have theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But is this poll a wargame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bortmonkey wrote:

Whatever I find interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
But is this poll a wargame?

As it turned out, I think so. But a very confused and bad one. In need of way more development time. (Actually, that's true for a good chunk of the wargames out there.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:

Whatever I find interesting.

What games have you been playing lately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.