Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few days ago at work two of my co-workers were talking about Gucci Manes new album and I hopped in and offered my two cents. One co-worker who doesn't know me as well said "I could never imagine you being really into rap because of all the board game stuff you do."

That made me ask around to my board game friends and they don't listen to rap. I don't listen to music when I game so I guess it never has come up.

Anyone else listen to rap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both albums by Diggable Planets very much.

Some stuff by A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul I like.

I like Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys.

But I really super like trip hop and instrumental hip hop.

Stuff like DJ Shadow, Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, DJ Krush, Royksopp... I really get into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like some rap. Used to be into the "gangsta rap" (Ice-T & Ice Cube) when I was younger. Listened to some Eminem and Dr Dre in the 2000's. I don't listen to much of the current stuff, but there are some Kendrick Lamar songs I like. Oh, and about a year or two ago, I delved back into listening to some Wu Tang Clan.

Lyrics NSFW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Digable Planets
Tribe Called Quest
Da La Soul
Beastie Boys
Ice-T
Ice Cube
If this were 1992 you guys would be cutting edge.

Yeah, BGG strikes me as possibly the last place on the internet you would find someone who has bought a rap album in the last 20 years.
Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Yeah, BGG strikes me as possibly the last place on the internet you would find someone who has bought a rap album in the last 20 years.
Just sayin'.

What, no Public Enemy or Bodycount?

I'll have you know, young fella-me-lad, I bought Council Estate Of Mind by M.C. Skinnyman when it came out. That was 2001, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rap? No
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Technically, it was more back around that time when it was called rap music. It was also around that time that the phrase hip hop took over. I'm also old enough to be around when rap music first evolved. Music is a like a second language to me, and I play the drums, so something like rap/hip hop music has always been a big draw. Current, although they have been around for some time, hip hop artist for me is The Roots. The are really the first hip hop band that made it big.

(who has an old school rap playlist on Youtube)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Just sayin'.

Glass Animals Zaba is from 2014.

I doubt anyone would call it rap, but it is right out of the trip hop tradition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't listen to much, but I like a lot of Eminem's stuff. Does 2 Skinnee J's count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When son #2 was in high school he listened to rap. I told him he would soon grow out of it.

He did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only wrap in our house:

I have many CDs of artists who use elements of rap in certain songs, that I can enjoy but, for me, full-on hardcore rap is so insistent that I get usually mentally tired of it in mere minutes.

It's a lot like going to a party and there's always that one guy or gal who always seems to be always complaining about something; his job, or her husband. Non-stop. They aren't happy unless they can tell someone else how miserable they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Digable Planets
Tribe Called Quest
Da La Soul
Beastie Boys
Ice-T
Ice Cube

Just sayin'.

There's no school like the old school. Didn't you watch CB4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't but I'm old enough to remember when rap first started being heard on the radio. Those first songs were silly and I think I unconsciously mentally dismissed it. Then later the era of gangsta rap disgusted me with its glamorization of violence, sexism, etc. Now there's probably more to rap as a music genre than that of course but I think I just missed the mental window of opportunity for viewing it as something I wish to bother with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very little, though Deltron 3030's first album is one of my all time favorites. As a sci-fi concept album about a hero trying to get to an intergalactic rap battle, it's tailor made for the geek community. I highly recommend it. (The MC/producer/DJ combo of Del the Funkee Homosapian, Dan the Automator, and Kid Koala can't be beat.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
I listen to rap unwillingly.

At stoplights and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh J
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I like Tech N9ne. Been to two of his concerts too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I'm old (I had the 12" vinyl of "Rapper's Delight" when it was first released), most of the hip-hop I listen to is, too: De La Soul, Shinehead, Eminem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

I'll have you know, young fella-me-lad, I bought Council Estate Of Mind by M.C. Skinnyman when it came out. That was 2001, so...

I think the last rap album I bought was Paris' Sonic Jihad, which was 2003, so we are winning this argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
But I really super like trip hop and instrumental hip hop.

Stuff like DJ Shadow, Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, DJ Krush, Royksopp... I really get into that.
Check out British label Ninja Tune (esp. DJ Food), lotsa good 'Brit-Hop' there I'm sure you'll like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It's one of many genres I listen to regularly. I draw mainly from the period 1986 - 2001. Like many white boys of the Yo MTV Raps era, my faves include PE, ATCQ, and De La Soul. Three of my fave rap trax are below: "Piranha" is what I keep wanting Death Grips to be; Pete Nice was a few years ahead of his time; RZA is inconsistent, but he's probably my favorite WTC MC (and of course a great DJ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
I hopped in and offered my two cents.

I would have offered my 50-cent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know three of Will Smith's albums by heart. Shut-up-shut-up-it-totally-counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
My 60GB (or something) iPod has about:
15% Hip Hop
15% Blues/Folk
35% Alt/Punk/Indie
15% Orchestral/Opera
10% Classic Rock/Soul/Funk
10% Jazz

The are definitely a few people in my gaming group who listen to rap.

Edit: I had never heard of Gucci Manes...so I guess I am out of the loop in this genre... Googled him. He appears to have a triple scoop ice cream cone branded to his face. I must say I cannot think if anything more gangsta than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:

Edit: I had never heard of Gucci Manes...so I guess I am out of the loop in this genre... Googled him. He appears to have a triple scoop ice cream cone branded to his face. I must say I cannot think if anything more gangsta than that.

Haha yeah. Dude was on a lot of drugs in the 2010's and was in an out of jail. Put out multiple hits that he just went into the studio and free styled. His music sucks but to put out hits without being aware of anything is straight up goofy. Its like Stephen King reading a few of his books for the first time because he was doing so much coke that he didn't remember writing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like rap, but usually geeky stuff like this or mcchris or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.