Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried the close quarters variant for 2 players? This was something that Rahdo suggested, and actually made its way into the rule book as an official variant.

Do play-testers or any backers feel this is too restrictive? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
Has anyone tried the close quarters variant for 2 players? This was something that Rahdo suggested, and actually made its way into the rule book as an official variant.

I've only played 2-player and I've only played with the Close Quarters variant. I thought it was great. The map would be too wide open otherwise. Having said that, it might have influenced only around 20% of my moves since:
1) there are still plenty of places to go and
2) the penalty isn't that big a deal, particularly if you're looking to rest a soon.

Question: I'm not near the rulebook now. What about whe you visit a place where your crew gets to rest......would you get to rest the guy who just paid the close quarters penalty? You have to put him below board to go there. Then, unless, there's a special rule, he'd come right back up on deck right afterwards. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
dyepbr wrote:

I've only played 2-player and I've only played with the Close Quarters variant. I thought it was great. The map would be too wide open otherwise. Having said that, it might have influenced only around 20% of my moves since:
2) the penalty isn't that big a deal, particularly if you're looking to rest a soon.

Question: I'm not near the rulebook now. What about whe you visit a place where your crew gets to rest......would you get to rest the guy who just paid the close quarters penalty? You have to put him below board to go there. Then, unless, there's a special rule, he'd come right back up on deck right afterwards. Right?

I think you are right. Exhausting the crew member is part of the requirement to'move', whereas using the bed is part of the core action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
Rob in Richmond wrote:
dyepbr wrote:

I think you are right. Exhausting the crew member is part of the requirement to'move', whereas using the bed is part of the core action.

Yeah, I would think you would first exhaust a crew member for the close quarters rule but since you are then taking a resting action, he would just come back to the on deck area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Close Quarters is definitely a good idea, I won't play a 2p game without it. Most of the time players aren't going to the same tiles anyway so it doesn't come up as often as it may seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play most of my games with 2 players, but have not tried this variant yet. I did play the game as a 4 player recently though and exhausting a guy to go to the same place is really not that big of a deal I think it only affected my move once since I didn't have the guy to exhaust. I assume the close quarters variant is much the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
it might have influenced only around 20% of my moves since:

This is actually pretty similar to how I felt playing with 4. It's not that big of a penalty, unless there wasn't an equally good option nearby, it never really inhibited me.

I just played 2-player without the Close Quarters variant and we never once went to the same location. So definitely think that this variant is the way to go, will not play without it in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brach Munoz
msg tools
mbmb
Follow-up question. I believe the variant states you need to exhaust an administrate person. If you do not have one, would this prevent you from moving into the space or do you get a free ride in? I'm currently leaning to it prevents the player from moving into that board region.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.