Popular Tags: [View All]
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, folks....

I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times or more.

I think I want to start getting in to this game. Where do I start? Of course I know about the "Core" box, but do I need multiples? Certain packs? How many of the special packs, etc?

Thanks

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only two releases you'll ever need an additional copy of are core and Edge of Darkness. Everything else has a full playset in the box.

Ironically, Core and Edge of Darkness are the traditional starting point. Core gets you going with the four starting factions, EoD will get you set up for both sides' third faction (Smugglers & Spies, and Scum & Villainy).

Two copies of both is a very good starting point. Though, if that's too pricey for your buy-in, you can start with a single copy of core, see if the rules and basic mechanics work for you. If the game feels too swingy, then you probably want to add a second copy of core. If the game feels too simplistic, then adding EoD is probably a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you planning to play? Do you want to get into tournaments or just play with friends. If you play in tournaments, are you just going local or are you shooting for world champion type play? These decisions affect your buying choices.

If you are playing casually with friends, I suggest this thread on cardgamedb.com: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17060-6-st... [I'm linking directly to my contribution, but you should read the whole thread, if you're interested.]

You see, the Core and Edge of Darkness both come with starter decks, but there are two problems:
1)each starter has only one of each objective set, making for swingy games, and
2) The Core decks have 8 objective sets while the EoD ones have 10.

A bunch of us decided to create more balanced starter decks with the assumption that someone has started with 2x Core and 2x Edge of Darkness. This is great for new players because the decks are more consistent and are as balanced as we could make them (though more testing and input is always appreciated).

Of course, as you learn the game better, building your own decks with your own combos and synergy will be a lot of fun, but you can always pull these out when someone new comes along and I find them much more enjoyable than the included starter decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play casually. I have 1 core set. I did then purchase the expansions. For casual play 1 core is fine.

We don't even deckbuild. I buy expansions and just add 1 objective set to each of the factions. Each faction now has roughly 25 objectives (no duplicates). Quite big decks..Yes quite random..but we just pick a faction and play and no game is alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siddharta Govindaraj
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an article that I found useful - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QsnucGLmnOgJ:fliptheforce.com/articles.php%3Frid%3D190+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

It contains recommendations for various levels of players, eg: if you want to play thematic, or casual, or tournament level and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.