Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Boniface
United States
Melbourne
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through my first game tonight and came across some opposition to my interpretation of the card.

The card states that as an action, all players with higher RP than the owner either flip 2 cards or lose 20 RP.

Here are the suggested options for interpretation:

1. Does this mean that if a target player does not flip two cards (for any reason) they must immediately lose 20 RP?

2. Does this mean that the target players each get to choose which happens separately? Additionally setting up a defense for players to choose to flip 2 cards and then use accessories to cancel one or both flips?

3. Does this mean that the Owner of Flippable Table chooses which of the two options happens to target player(s)?

Please let me know if anyone has any clarification on this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the second interpretation. And if a player doesn't flip the two cards due to effects, or can't because they don't have two cards, they flip as much as they can/must, but won't lose RP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boniface
United States
Melbourne
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I'd go with the second interpretation. And if a player doesn't flip the two cards due to effects, or can't because they don't have two cards, they flip as much as they can/must, but won't lose RP.

That's the way we played it, suggesting it to be more traditional to CCG stack mechanics. I was outvoted on this though. I initially expected the first interpretation to be accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to this, it is also unclear to me whether a person can choose to lose RP to Flippable Table if they have less than 20 RP to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interperation is that yes, they could choose to lose RP even if they didn't have any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boniface
United States
Melbourne
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
My interperation is that yes, they could choose to lose RP even if they didn't have any.

That aligns with the rule that you cannot go into the negatives. You can be at 10 RP, lose 20 and only drop to 0 RP (technically only losing 10).

I found a FAQ that also verifies Asmor's earlier suggestion at my original post:

RULES FAQ wrote:
***Flippable Table*** from core set
-------Can you use deck protectors to protect one card, flip one card, and not lose 20 RP? Or do you still lose the RP because you in the end did not flip two cards? Similarly, if I do not have 20 RP do I have to choose to flip two?
You choose to either flip two cards OR lose 20 RP. If you do not have enough RP you may still choose to lose 20 RP and will just end up with 0 RP (per the rules you cannot go negative). If you choose to flip two, then you may choose to flip two and then protect one (or both) with effects like deck protectors and not lose the 20 RP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 is correct, though I believe that if a player does not have at least 20 RP, they have to choose the flip option. Flip prevention effects can be used to stop flipping from Flippable Table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithry wrote:
2 is correct, though I believe that if a player does not have at least 20 RP, they have to choose the flip option. Flip prevention effects can be used to stop flipping from Flippable Table.

Thanks for the answer Ithry and not what I would have expected. I would have expected each player gets to choose which option (flip two or pay 20 RP) but I would not have expected that you have to flip 2 if you do not have the RP. I thought you would just go down to zero and stay there since the rules specifically say you can't go negative.

Below is what is currently in the FAQ on this card (but you guys never confirmed this one)... but I will update it later for this answer. Thanks again!

Quote:
***Flippable Table*** Core Set
-------Can you use deck protectors to protect one card, flip one card, and not lose 20 RP? Or do you still lose the RP because you in the end did not flip two cards? Similarly, if I do not have 20 RP do I have to choose to flip two?
You choose to either flip two cards OR lose 20 RP. If you do not have enough RP you may still choose to lose 20 RP and will just end up with 0 RP (per the rules you cannot go negative). If you choose to flip two, then you may choose to flip two and then protect one (or both) with effects like deck protectors and not lose the 20 RP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just clarified with Brad. You lose as much RP as you have, so you can choose the RP loss option if you have less than 20 RP. Apologies for the misinformation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ithry!

FAQ updated for this :- )

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22397397#22397397

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithry wrote:
Just clarified with Brad. You lose as much RP as you have, so you can choose the RP loss option if you have less than 20 RP. Apologies for the misinformation.

Just a clarification follow-up.

If a player has 1 or more RP, that player can choose to the 'lose 20 RP' option. That I understand. What if a player has zero RP? Can they still choose to the 'lose 20 RP' option? If it is legal, then flippable table's card flip effect is fairly ineffective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they can.

And yes, if you use the table when all of your opponents have no RP, then you're dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.