Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am building a game collection from scratch, and am buying various playmats as accessories for miniatures games and modular map games.

I think Archipelago may be the nautical game that would take up the most table space. What would be the minimum game mat size which would always contain an end game sized map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I'm out of topic: I think Merchants and Marauders has a bigger table footprint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
I am building a game collection from scratch, and am buying various playmats as accessories for miniatures games and modular map games.

I think Archipelago may be the nautical game that would take up the most table space. What would be the minimum game mat size which would always contain an end game sized map?

There are 25 hexes and you start with 3-6 in play at a depth of 3. Further hexes then have to be placed next to at least two existing hexes, keeping them clustered together. I think it would be unusual for the map to exceed 7 hexes by 5 hexes. Hexes are 11cm edge to edge, so you're probably looking at 80cm x 60cm for the map.

However, Archipelago also requires space for the action wheel, the markets and the native tracks. Do you need to account for those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Phogg wrote:

There are 25 hexes and you start with 3-6 in play at a depth of 3. Further hexes then have to be placed next to at least two existing hexes, keeping them clustered together. I think it would be unusual for the map to exceed 7 hexes by 5 hexes. Hexes are 11cm edge to edge, so you're probably looking at 80cm x 60cm for the map.

However, Archipelago also requires space for the action wheel, the markets and the native tracks. Do you need to account for those?

Thanks for your help. The ancillary boards don't need to be on the ocean mat for visual effect. I just need to double check how big Survive: Escape From Atlantis boards are and I can order my mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, seeing that a sixteen tile expansion is being developed (and wanting to play Sails of Glory) I went ahead and bought the four by six Fat Mat that Chaz Marler reviewed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
So, seeing that a sixteen tile expansion is being developed (and wanting to play Sails of Glory) I went ahead and bought the four by six Fat Mat that Chaz Marler reviewed.

The tile expansion won't increase the size of the map. That's capped at 25 by the number of exploration tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.