Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

It seems like this is something that wouldn't be used that often.

Is this the case or am I missing something?

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon - I would think it is fairly routinely used. In games I've been in (solo and w/ friend), sharing AP among more than one unit pops up when I'm group moving (a fairly frequent occurrence, depending on circumstance), trying to coordinate fire among individual units, trying to maneuver a unit so to join with another in group fire, and other circumstances. A friend uses it routinely to try to overrun an isolated enemy position by presenting too many targets. You can probably think of other situations where it can benefit you, too.

Cheers,
/Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borz wrote:
Jon - I would think it is fairly routinely used. In games I've been in (solo and w/ friend), sharing AP among more than one unit pops up when I'm group moving (a fairly frequent occurrence, depending on circumstance), trying to coordinate fire among individual units, trying to maneuver a unit so to join with another in group fire, and other circumstances. A friend uses it routinely to try to overrun an isolated enemy position by presenting too many targets. You can probably think of other situations where it can benefit you, too.

Cheers,
/Bob

Bob,

I forgot the group move portion. I was thinking more along the lines of sharing APs among two different units far apart who don't end up group moving? Does that happen frequently?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
sharing APs among two different units far apart who don't end up group moving? Does that happen frequently?

Unless the units are contiguous it's not allowed for them to share the AP, unless you mean the units far apart on the ends of a contiguous line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Quote:
sharing APs among two different units far apart who don't end up group moving? Does that happen frequently?

Unless the units are contiguous it's not allowed for them to share the AP, unless you mean the units far apart on the ends of a contiguous line.

This is incorrect. See chapter 9.0 on Shared Activations in AtB rules.

Any units can share the same AP pool with the downside that they will all be spent once the pool is depleted. They don't have to be adjacent to each other, and you can add units to the Shared Activation at will.

Group actions are a subset of Shared Activations. In Group actions, multiple units can participate in action during a single turn, and when using Group actions, the units must be adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon - "Frequently" may be a less useful term, given the number (and different types of) actions you can perform by one or more units. I'd say yo should keep yourself open to its availability, particularly when your opponent appears to be in the frame of mind of "I act with one, you act with one." Suddenly acting with another unit, even on the far side of the board, could cause them to react in a way that short-circuits their plans for their own units.

Cheers,
/Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
See chapter 9.0 on Shared Activations in AtB rules.

Yes indeed. This is easily the most misunderstood aspect of the game, which is a pity because it's extremely flexible and interesting. I highly encourage every player to go read the relevant sections again.

Shared activation is not the same as grouping. You can use a shared activation for a group, but it's also possible to do a group action without a shared activation, as well as having units in a shared activation who are not grouped.

Familiarizing yourself with these two concepts can open up a whole new set of tactics to explore. It's worth taking the time to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.