Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Xiangqi» Forums » General

Subject: Xiangqi pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I was told that the reverse side of my Go board is Xiangqi and I have read the rules, I would really love to play. All the wooden pieces on Amazon are $35 or more, which seems a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a nice set of pieces under $35, or is that indeed reasonable?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Now that I was told that the reverse side of my Go board is Xiangqi and I have read the rules, I would really love to play. All the wooden pieces on Amazon are $35 or more, which seems a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a nice set of pieces under $35, or is that indeed reasonable?

If you have a Chinese or Vietnamese market near you, you may be able to buy a very basic set for only $2-$3 or so, and there is a metric tonne of sets available on eBay, starting around $5 or so and available in different sizes and a variety of materials.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Now that I was told that the reverse side of my Go board is Xiangqi and I have read the rules, I would really love to play. All the wooden pieces on Amazon are $35 or more, which seems a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a nice set of pieces under $35, or is that indeed reasonable?

If you have a Chinese or Vietnamese market near you, you may be able to buy a very basic set for only $2-$3 or so, and there is a metric tonne of sets available on eBay, starting around $5 or so and available in different sizes and a variety of materials.



Great! We have a Chinatown district in our city and I will check out EBay. Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Now that I was told that the reverse side of my Go board is Xiangqi and I have read the rules, I would really love to play. All the wooden pieces on Amazon are $35 or more, which seems a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a nice set of pieces under $35, or is that indeed reasonable?

If you have a Chinese or Vietnamese market near you, you may be able to buy a very basic set for only $2-$3 or so, and there is a metric tonne of sets available on eBay, starting around $5 or so and available in different sizes and a variety of materials.



Great! We have a Chinatown district in our city and I will check out EBay. Thank you!

Btw, a lot of the eBay listings are already linked here on the BGG page, so you can look at them quite easily.


cool

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Now that I was told that the reverse side of my Go board is Xiangqi and I have read the rules, I would really love to play. All the wooden pieces on Amazon are $35 or more, which seems a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a nice set of pieces under $35, or is that indeed reasonable?

If you have a Chinese or Vietnamese market near you, you may be able to buy a very basic set for only $2-$3 or so, and there is a metric tonne of sets available on eBay, starting around $5 or so and available in different sizes and a variety of materials.



Great! We have a Chinatown district in our city and I will check out EBay. Thank you!

Btw, a lot of the eBay listings are already linked here on the BGG page, so you can look at them quite easily.


cool



Thanks again. Went to eBay at your suggestion and nice wooden pieces there are dirt cheap compared to Amazon!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Went to eBay at your suggestion and nice wooden pieces there are dirt cheap compared to Amazon!

Well in all fairness, without knowing which ones you're looking at, there are wooden pieces, and then there are wooden pieces....

At the bottom end, the traditional very inexpensive sets, so often seen in the Chinese sidewalk games and in the parks, are manufactured as quickly and cheaply as possible, and they look it, even though they are quite serviceable.

At the upper end are the sets that might be reserved for playing at home or in clubs, and assuming that you do want wooden pieces, you can find truly elegant sets made of high grade hardwoods such as beech or rosewood.

If you take your time shopping around, you'll surely find some sets that are in your price range and reasonably attractive to your eye.


cool

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, they're not necessarily standardized in size, so make sure the dimensions fit well on each space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
IIRC, they're not necessarily standardized in size, so make sure the dimensions fit well on each space.


They are only slightly bigger than Go pieces so I imagine they will work. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.