James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons and I came across this little gem, Sidewinder, in a thrift store. As soon as you see it it grabs your attention. I pulled it off of the shelf since it was from Parker Brothers and I had never heard of it. The box art also caught my eye because it was a combination of a gameplay photo and painted art. The standard for the early 80s in the US was painted box cover art and gameplay photos for the bottom box art. This felt rare, almost like an import. I opened the box to see what the games condition was. It was in excellent condition. I showed the boys and they were jazzed. "Let's get it!" became the unanimous feeling.
Once home a closer inspection could be done revealing the adhesive on the box bottom label has dried out causing the interior trim to pull away -- no big deal, easy fix with some Elmer's Puzzle Glue. The game includes the original box insert/rules and the assembly guide.
The assembly guide stresses twice not to force or pull stuck vipers -- which is a good point not followed by this games previous owner.

Oh no, somebody FORCED the heck out of the orange snake. Bummer! This was looking like our lucky score would only be a collection piece.

I had seen this squirt gun plug around for several days. I hadn't mustered the energy to throw it away. Fortunately, I didn't, now it can be used to fix Sidewinder.

Using a soldering iron and craft glue gun I welded the pieces together. One side was missing some plastic so I filled in the difference with a large portion of the squirt gun plug. It was an ugly, but it worked. After cleaning up my sloppy work I used aluminum tape to add support to and strengthen the repair area.

Excitedly I put it back together and... Orange snake lives!

The boys have had a blast playing the repaired game. The game itself is pretty interesting. You maneuver your snake using the two dials. The snakes move like tanks. For example: move up on the left control knob and down on the right control knob to make a hard turn to the right.

The board has clever little pits or recesses to "pocket" or lock the metal balls and keep them from constantly rolling around.

The game actually plays at a slower pace than I initially thought it would. After all the box claims to have "Fang-to-Fang Fast-Action". It was more a race of skill. You need to collect 7 or more pellets and return them to your den before your opponent does. Some of the pellets get into insane places. You need to examine the board and calculate the best path based on your snake maneuvering skills. Using the stones, my son "snaked" his viper in the shape of a capital "P" to score the final pellet.

Sidewinder is a nice little family game, bright, interesting, and fun.

Sidewinder's box art even fascinated the pants off my cat Rikki Tikki Tavi. Rikki was true to his name, swatting at the snakes on the box cover -- becoming obsessed with killing the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha!

Growing up my parents would always purchase a board game for Christmas that they let us kids open on Christmas Eve.

One year we received Sidewinder and it was a hit--though we were too young to appreciate not forcing the snakes and eventually I'm sure ours ended up just like the one you found in thrift (speaking of, I'm not sure whatever happened to our family copy from all those years ago--maybe it eventually made its way to your house).

Nice job with the repair!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aeroguru1978 wrote:
Ha!

Growing up my parents would always purchase a board game for Christmas that they let us kids open on Christmas Eve.

One year we received Sidewinder and it was a hit--though we were too young to appreciate not forcing the snakes and eventually I'm sure ours ended up just like the one you found in thrift (speaking of, I'm not sure whatever happened to our family copy from all those years ago--maybe it eventually made its way to your house).

Nice job with the repair!

Thanks. It was a fun little repair project that brought a fun eye-catching game back to life. I ended up with an interesting, rare little gem to display with my collection for $2.99 - not bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
"Its eyes were widening, widening, and in those black pupils, each as big as a softball, Ritchie saw the mad darkness that must exist over the rim of the universe; he saw a shitty happiness that he felt would drive him insane."
mbmbmbmbmb
I somehow missed this thread's posting back in July.
Nice pictorial and creative repair there, jetcougar.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.