Subject: Mortal and Pestle and Reroll Cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Brewer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all. My wife and I are really loving this game so far! We had a situation come up tonight that we couldn't find an answer to.

She had mortar and pestle and master stone. Before the roll, she took her two power stones from the master stone power. After rolling, she used mortar and pestle to change one die. After that, she decided to use a Reroll cube to Reroll some of her dice (not the one she just changed). She then asked if she could use mortar and pestle again on another die.

The rules specifically say of the master stone that you only get two bonus power stones before the roll the first time, but the mortar and pestle only says "After rolling dice...". Can mortar and pestle be used after any dice rolls in this phase, or only once?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBigLeBrewski wrote:
Hi all. My wife and I are really loving this game so far! We had a situation come up tonight that we couldn't find an answer to.

She had mortar and pestle and master stone. Before the roll, she took her two power stones from the master stone power. After rolling, she used mortar and pestle to change one die. After that, she decided to use a Reroll cube to Reroll some of her dice (not the one she just changed). She then asked if she could use mortar and pestle again on another die.

The rules specifically say of the master stone that you only get two bonus power stones before the roll the first time, but the mortar and pestle only says "After rolling dice...". Can mortar and pestle be used after any dice rolls in this phase, or only once?

Thanks!

She would not. Permanent powers may only be used once per round. She already used the mortar and pestle once that round.

Now, had she not used the mortar and pestle that first time, she would be able to use if after using reroll cube(s). As long as the die is adjusted before the assignment of dice to cards.

p.s. I'm glad you like the game . Do you know about the promo pack expansion with 12 new cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
drfinn wrote:
Do you know about the promo pack expansion with 12 new cards?

Is there a way to get the expansions for the games I own (Institute, Capo) other than by backing a future kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
drfinn wrote:
Do you know about the promo pack expansion with 12 new cards?

Is there a way to get the expansions for the games I own (Institute, Capo) other than by backing a future kickstarter?

Not really, except I sometimes have a level that is just for the promo packs -- so you do not actually have to back for the game being Kickstarted. I'm still on the fence about it.

They were originally made as "Kickstarter exclusives" so I cannot let down previous backers by making them available outside of Kickstarter.

Sorry, but I survive mostly by Kickstarter so I need to give reasons for people to back my projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I agree with you... I think your games would succeed on their own merits, without having to hold expansions to other games hostage unless people back the new one. Your games are better than that.

Anyway, here's hoping you fall to the other side of the fence some day, and offer the expansions (individually, not just a complete pack that a lot of people wouldn't even have all the games for) either direct or on the BBG store.

Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
Not sure I agree with you... I think your games would succeed on their own merits, without having to hold expansions to other games hostage unless people back the new one. Your games are better than that.

Anyway, here's hoping you fall to the other side of the fence some day, and offer the expansions (individually, not just a complete pack that a lot of people wouldn't even have all the games for) either direct or on the BBG store.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks. I appreciate the comments. At this point, those expansions are committed to being Kickstarter-only, or else many backers would legitimately be upset. So, I'm in a little pickle now. Also, the cost to send just 1 pack of 5 cards, even if sold separately, might be prohibitive. Those packs were expensive to make in time and labor, despite their size, because I did not order many (price per unit is high with low quantities.)

I think my Kickstarters might still succeed, but unfortunately, there is a growing expectation that Kickstarter backers will get something special and unique. Little promo packs are the kind of thing that can be special and easy to make at the same time.

Despite the consistently good praise I get for my games from people like you, distributors and stores simply aren't picking up my games. So, I need something to offer to Kickstarter backers to continue to grow my backer support.

I'm not trying to hold people hostage to buy my new games, but trying to find ways to make my Kickstarter campaigns special. I would love someday to just have a company that makes and sells games to distributors with enough revenue to just make the games without crowdfunding. Unfortunately, I'm far from that point now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.