6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Another Custom Table! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian campbell
Canada
flag msg tools
A really good, and highly skilled friend of mine decided to build a table that that was appropriate for our RPG adventures. He had the skills and I had the capital!

We spent a lot of time researching and of course read through the main thread o' tables, but we definitely inspired by
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
's table.

It's dimensions are 59 inches by 83 inches. The vault is currently 2.75 inches deep, and it currently does not have a lining, but will have 4mm neoprene, once I can track some down in Canada. Otherwise I'm going to have to bite the bullet and give all my monies to get it from America.

In terms of cost for materials it cost me $603.21 I had some money saved to finish building a computer that I used and spread the purchases over about 6 weeks or so.

The table is built with pine (body, legs, supports) and oak (top trim and big leaf).

It's also wired as you can hopefully tell from the pictures, with the outlets tucked in each of the corners.

I'm not sure how many pictures I can post here, so what I think I'll do for now, is throw a few up, then, put the rest on Imgur and link that here if that's alright.

I cannot understate how grateful I am to my compatriot. He was definitely the brains of the operation. If I made it on my own. It would have turned out much, much differently. Less oak and more empty pizza boxes.

Without further ado here are some pictures:

I will add the imgur link tomorrow (I can add them here as well if that's permissible!)

We kept the cupholder idea but I wanted the table to function as a nice dining table so we decided to put the cupholders inside the frame and cover the trays with lids. The lids stay on due to magnets and compression as the fit is snug.

There are a few more pieces to come yet. My friend is finishing up the lids and I'm waiting on a wood burning kit so I can burn a design into the lid that will cover the vault, and of course the neoprene.

It has hosted several gaming sessions now, and at everyone seems to love it. It's quite a step up from our regular set up of a hodge podge collection of tables and coffee tables. It seats 8 comfortably.

I have two D/D groups that I host, one group of 4 and a group of 6. I haven't had the larger group out yet, but I suspect it should be pretty comfortable still.

This is turning into a wall of text already, so I will end it with that. If you have any questions fire away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For neoprene sources in Canada and the States, I would check out the following thread:
Game Table Design Series: Game Table Features - Play Surface

I searched all over Canada and was blown away by how expensive it was. I ended up ordering 3 sheets of 4mm dark brown nylon jersey with sharkskin textured backing from Macro Int. only because they had exactly what I wanted. They are a bit more expensive than the others but had what I wanted. Going through the States will put you in danger of courier brokerage fees. With that in mind, if you do use UPS/FedEx, I would read this other thread regarding doing your own Self Clearing of the package to save yourself the brokerage fees that the couriers charge to handle your taxes.

See the details here:
Canadian International Shipping Using UPS or FedEx - A New Beginning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian campbell
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks! Yeah, I've read that thread before. It's crazy how expensive a sheet of neoprene is. Did you adhere it to the surface at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EastCoastBrian wrote:
Thanks! Yeah, I've read that thread before. It's crazy how expensive a sheet of neoprene is. Did you adhere it to the surface at all?
My table only exists in assorted parts (neoprene/hinges/drawer slides/aluminum cups/foot levellers) and as detailed CAD files at the moment. I'm in the middle of doing renovations in my basement that will create the room that can hold the table. Table construction should begin next spring.

A sheet of neoprene does not need be glued down. They weigh enough that they will stay flat without any help. I also want them moveable so that they can go inside the vault or on top of the covering planks depending on the game being played. They are also easier to clean if they can be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian campbell
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's what I was hoping. I want to be able to take it out to clean the table as necessary.

I really wanted drawers on this one, but it just didn't work out. It would have required (I think) 5 inches width and it's already almost too wide to move.

We constructed in a basement and moved it to my apartment and I am not looking forward to moving it if I ever do the homeownership thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

Very nice looking table.

Welcome to the Geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.