7 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » Variants

Subject: Battlecon Variant: asynchronous gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jitjit2x junior
Philippines
flag msg tools
Does anyone know the tweaks on bases and character styles for it to be asynchronous?

Like Drive's Before activating: advance 1 or 2 spaces, tweaked to advance 2 spaces only.

Maybe someone could make a list so that our pbf matches can be tolerable.lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to think that the game would be all around better if it didn't have any mid-turn decisions to be made. I think the PC version might answer all your questions as I believe that's how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BCO's erasure of mid-beat decisions is 100% like this. For Turbo variant, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of Battlecon, and getting rid of mid-beat decisions seems like an astoundingly boneheaded idea. A lot of characters depend on tactical use of optional effects.

If that's how Battlecon online is, count me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I know, BCO will feature two modes, Turbo and Strategic. Strategic will preserve mid-beat options. Turbo mode will have no mid-beat decisions, which I believe is what OP is asking for. (I also suspect it will feature EXCEED-style movement. That is, if you cannot perform a full movement, perform as much of it as possible; and use of the Close keyword, which means "Advance without passing".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the close command goes a long way to correcting some of the problems inherent to a completely pre-programmed beat, but instances like using a grasp and making a decision whether to push or pull based on the opponent's attack ranges, stun guard, etc. are critical to the game.

I'll have to give it a whirl before I make a final judgment, but turbo mode sounds rubbish to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
Well, the close command goes a long way to correcting some of the problems inherent to a completely pre-programmed beat, but instances like using a grasp and making a decision whether to push or pull based on the opponent's attack ranges, stun guard, etc. are critical to the game.

I'll have to give it a whirl before I make a final judgment, but turbo mode sounds rubbish to me.

I think it would be an interesting design challenge to make a set of BattleCON characters with bases designed entirely for asynchronous play. To put it another way, can you preserve the fun of BattleCON if there are no decisions beyond playing your attack pair?

Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan have junior editions that simplify the game to make it more accessible. So what would BattleCON be like if it got the junior treatment? Or if BattleCON was re-purposed to fit in with the Duelist Library set of games? I like the idea and it is fun to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.