$30.00
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the central complaints regarding Descent 2e, at least in regards to the core experience, appears to revolve around the search mechanic -- most people seem to feel it was a bit tame. Reading loads of impressions throughout the four year history of this title, many have made the observation, at least in regards to the unexpectedly repetitive and lackluster options that appeared.

One thing that is very difficult to ascertain, however, is how this may (or may not) have changed over time.

My Question: Provided we can agree that the core experience was a bit lack laster, have the expansions gone to any lengths to address this? I know the small box expansions removed the "you find nothing" cards in lieu of hidden room options, but were steps taken beyond this? Maybe better cards in almost every expansion, or other tweaks I may have missed?

Just curious to see if FFG turned a deaf ear to these complaints or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden rooms have been the only changes to the search mechanics to date. The Bounty Hunter and Treasure Hunter classes have cards that relate to search tokens. So does Raythen's Plot deck. Occasional quests involve drawing a Shop card (one in Nerekhall I can think of). The rules for drawing Shop cards between quests have been tweaked a little. That's about it.

I don't have a particular issue with this, honestly. D2E isn't an explore-and-search game. If you don't search you'll likely be at a disadvantage for equipment later. That's reason enough for me to do it whenever I can.

Oh, the Road to Legend app sometimes has traps and stuff when you search, but the rewards are still typically "draw a Search card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Treasure chests are missing from this game and exciting loot. There is still great incentive to search as you are hoping to get a health or stamina potion. Also your finds convert to gold. Which ultimately converts to exciting loot.
This element works really well in D2E as you are often torn between using your 2 actions to resolve objectives and combat or should you move towards that search token and get treasure and a potion that could help the party at a critical moment. it's another part of the gameplay in Descent 2 that's adds to the decision making. With chests it was a no brainer. You were going to open it and no agonising over whether you left it. Don't get me wrong I like a nice chest full of loot.
One of the quests in the Rise of Goblins app has a room with 6 chests, I couldn't wait to open but just got owned on the mission and didn't get round to it. Looking forward to a replay and seeing what's actually in that treasure room, hope it's something good..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Search tokens, especially if you're playing a one-off game or using RtL, are terribly boring.

They either heal all your health, heal all your stamina, let you reroll a dice or provide a lacklustre weapon. Considering that in Imperial Assault they've given new search cards in each expansion I'm pretty surprised that they haven't decided to do it with descent.

Don't get me wrong - the affects themselves are useful and can sometimes save your life. But the randomness means for every health potion you get you might be spending an action on getting a useless fireflask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.