Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a situation where I needed to rescue/kill 4 hostages in the pivotal event so that I don't lose to timeout. My plan was to play a bunch of cards such as A bold lie/What are your demands so the second in command kills a bunch of hostages before I play Major extraction which would guarantee victory. Somehow I rolled like a god and passed all the conversations on one die each(change of plan). I even used What I meant was to reroll successes and still got successes!! I lost with one hostage left since the 2nd never kills the last hostage due to threat level increase...

This last turn felt a bit silly and illogical, I was wondering if I played correctly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
No you cannot. With rare exception most times a card saves equal or more hostages than it kills so I don't know why you would want a lesser result. The game was not designed to be "gamed" like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:
No you cannot. With rare exception most times a card saves equal or more hostages than it kills so I don't know why you would want a lesser result. The game was not designed to be "gamed" like that.

it's because of the Second of command, which kills hostages when the threat level rises. Therefore, there are many cards which will rise the threat level when failed, but not save hostages when passed. Because of those cards, I felt it was the easiest way to handle the 4 remaining hostages in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
vanrydergames wrote:

it's because of the Second of command, which kills hostages when the threat level rises. Therefore, there are many cards which will rise the threat level when failed, but not save hostages when passed. Because of those cards, I felt it was the easiest way to handle the 4 remaining hostages in one turn.

Well I see what you are saying, but the 2nd in command will never kill the last hostage. Keep that in mind. But the answer is still "no". I will always be very strongly against something so anti-thematic like that.

While things like trying an extraction knowing someone might get killed and draw you closer to victory are still thematic and actually might be a risk law enforcement might take. Trying to get the Abductor to kill people to end it faster would not. This was a tricky part of designing the game. I'm not sure I pulled it off perfectly, but I did my best to try to avoid allowing players to game the system. And that is a big benefit of the dice, because even when you try it (as you found out) it is not totally in your control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:
johncraven wrote:
vanrydergames wrote:

Well I see what you are saying, but the 2nd in command will never kill the last hostage. Keep that in mind. But the answer is still "no". I will always be very strongly against something so anti-thematic like that.

While things like trying an extraction knowing someone might get killed and draw you closer to victory are still thematic and actually might be a risk law enforcement might take. Trying to get the Abductor to kill people to end it faster would not. This was a tricky part of designing the game. I'm not sure I pulled it off perfectly, but I did my best to try to avoid allowing players to game the system. And that is a big benefit of the dice, because even when you try it (as you found out) it is not totally in your control.

oh is the rule "never kill the last hostage" only apply when the threat level rises, or is it also for regular hostage kill effects? The rulebook is a bit ambiguous about that. If it's a general rule then I did misplay that part.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
vanrydergames wrote:
johncraven wrote:
vanrydergames wrote:

oh is the rule "never kill the last hostage" only apply when the threat level rises, or is it also for regular hostage kill effects? The rulebook is a bit ambiguous about that. If it's a general rule then I did misplay that part.

Thanks

NEVER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.