Subject: Non-random Galactic War Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was some talk here and here about the Galactic war strength (r10 rules have the Sentinel strength at 8)

Some players (e.g., more Euro-style players) might feel that the Galactic War end-game is too swingy/random for their tastes.
Also it is difficult for new players to easily evaluate how many units they will need on a planet not to be obliterated at the end of the game by the Sentinels (leading to an unsatisfying game experience).

So this variant thread suggests a mechanism to calculate deterministic Sentinel losses during the Galactic War. The tables emulate a Sentinel Military Science level of 8.

During the Galactic War, the Sentinels attack the strongest faction on each planet as usual (most Workers with random draw tie-breaker).

The table below is simply consulted to determine the number of casualties the Sentinels will cause before being defeated. The casualties are determined based on the number of Sentinels present on the planet and the Military Science level of the faction being attacked.

Quote:
Galactic War Losses Number of Sentinels
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Faction Military Science ------------------------------------
4 or lower | 2 | 4 | 6 | 8 | 10 | 12
5 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
6 | 1 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 7 | 8
7 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 6 | 7
8 or above | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

As usual, a Trooper can be counted as 1 casualty and other Workers count as only a half casualty.

Eg. If the faction Military Science level is 5 and there are 2 Sentinels on the planet then they inflict 3 casualties. If the Faction had 2 Troopers and 5 Rebels then they would be left with 3 Rebels at the end of the Galactic War.

If a faction is eliminated from a planet, then look for the first column which equals or exceeds the necessary number of casualties. The indicated number of Sentinels minus one are removed from the planet. The remaining Sentinels will then attack the next strongest faction as normal.

E.g., If the faction Military Science level is 4 and there are 3 Sentinels on the planet then they inflict 6 casualties. However, if the Faction only had 2 Troopers and 3 Rebels (enough for 3.5 casualties) then the faction would be wiped out and two Sentinels would remain to attack the next strongest faction.

So a new player (or euro-gamer) can have a good expectation of how many losses they will take at the end of the game and so can prepare themselves accordingly. It should also be faster to resolve. [This table can also be used as an indicative "average case" guide for new players even if a random cube draw is still used.]

If you wanted to retain a small amount of non-determinism in the result (to avoid over-analysis), then you could also roll a D10 for each Sentinel battle. A result of 1-2 means you take one less than the indicated causalities and if you roll a 9-10 then you take one extra casualty. [I was planning on giving each player a D10 to track their current Military Science Level anyway (as the cheapskates at EGG couldn't be bothered to put a Military Science Level track on the Faction cards)]

[Working: The expected number of independent trials (n) needed to have x successes (not necessary to be consecutive) given probability p is n=x/p. In our case, probability of hit is p = SL / (SL + 8). So expected number of casualties prior to x hits is n' = (x/p) - x = x * (1/p - 1) which is simply x * 8 / SL]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant can also be coupled with a less-random tie-breaker when two factions have the same number of Workers on a planet.

The stated intent from Glenn is that the Sentinels will target the faction with the strongest / most 'visible' presence on the planet, so the most obvious tie-breakers are:

- Primary Test: Number of Workers on planet
- First tie-breaker: Highest number of Troopers
- Second tie-breaker: Highest Military Science level
- Third tie-breaker: Random cube draw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
This variant can also be coupled with a less-random tie-breaker when two factions have the same number of Workers on a planet.

The stated intent is that the Sentinels will target the faction with the strongest presence on the planet, so the most obvious tie-breakers are:

- Primary Test: Number of Workers on planet
- First tie-breaker: Highest number of Troopers
- Second tie-breaker: Highest Military Science level
- Third tie-breaker: Random cube draw

I agree that the tie breaker as to who fights the sentinels need more tweeking and your suggestion is very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bogusgig wrote:
I agree that the tie breaker as to who fights the sentinels need more tweeking and your suggestion is very good.

Yeah I really think that one should become an official variant or even errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and this was the single biggest issue for Tom Vasel, basically hated the game due to the way the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of using the losses chart as a way for players to gauge how many figures they should expect to lose when using the cube draw method to resolve the GW.

I also like the tiebreaker method you proposed.

Rather than going totally deterministic, I think I'll still use the cube pull method, but resolve multiple planets at the same time using multiple bags. That way the GW should only take a few minutes to resolve, but the drama of having back and forth battles with the sentinels will be retained.

I know a lot of us on this site are calculating gamers, but I think there is a lot of entertainment value to be had with the GW. And since only a fraction of the available victory points are at stake, it shouldn't feel too unbalancing, IMO. If you play it right, you may lose the majority on one planet, but gain it on another, effectively coming out the same. Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about something even more simple.

Make is similar to Age of Discovery.

During battle, Only Troopers can eliminate someone. The person with the higher military technology cubes gets an extra trooper for the battle only.

During Warfare at the end, the sentinels only battle for one round and then are removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.