Hide
7 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Multiple parties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Ackland
msg tools
I'm on board with the Legacy features and really look forward to it. Even running multiple parties with different groups should be a blast.

I'm curious - is it the intent that two parties should be entirely separate, or is it acceptable for a single character to be a member of two different parties?
I understand that it's fine for characters to come and go as the players please, as well as the retiring mechanic, but if I want to play a Brute in two different groups, should they be different Brutes, or can they be the same Brute (thus leveling up quicker)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that it is okay because it would essentially be like you playing solo inbetween and leveling up by yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure whether or not that would overlevel you or whatever compared to others, but if it doesn't put you at a huge advantage versus other people, I don't see why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coleman Ellis
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
According to the latest revision of the rulebook I can find, "New parties can also be formed at any time, though new characters should be made for a new party."

That being said, the difficulty scaling for each scenario accounts for having party members of different levels, so if you wanted to you could have the same character in multiple parties, but I'd imagine that if the level difference was too high the scenarios would get too difficult for the lower leveled members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good this game rewards you with XP for using your abilities however weak they are. But we will see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carnaxcce wrote:
I'd imagine that if the level difference was too high the scenarios would get too difficult for the lower leveled members.

Actually, characters retire in the game as part of the base mechanics and the player then starts a new character. Once this starts to happen (expected to happen 4-5 times per player by the end of the campaign), you'll almost always have some higher level characters and some lower level characters (especially later in the campaign as different characters will retire at different times/rates). It's expected that the party will (eventually) have high-level and low-level characters. It's already built into the design and the setup calculations for scenario difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the most important part of your question is if it is OK for your group to not start playing at the same level as you. The game itself is capable of handling different level of characters, however the people in your group may have problem with it, because not only you will be stronger, because you know the rules, but your character will perform better due to its level and superior equipment.

So I suppose it would be completely fine for the players that already know the game, but for the beginners it might be better to start with a new 1st level character (so they can see how the game is played at their experience level) and perhaps then to switch to the shared character.

On the other hand you may realize it is more interesting to play with different classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.