Hide
6 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Switching high to low altitude on ridge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Parker
msg tools
I already think I know the answer to my question but it seems weird.

If I end a turn with an aircraft (not hovering) at high altitude on a ridge, then next loiter turn I go to low altitude then is the following correct?

I do not roll for ridge evasion as I am already on it, but I do not have los into the adjacent hex because los is determined from center of hex to center.

I just wanted to make sure I understand so I can try to play an error free campaign. I just finished my first one -- Pakistan Rapid Deployment. I made a few mistakes I realized later that actually hurt me and made some quick boneheaded decisions. Ended up with 2 down pilots and adequate result.

Thanks all,
Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will most likely have errors for a couple of games... but all in good FUN.

If I understand you correctly:

Before moving you set your altitude (page 14).
Altitude
Before an Aircraft moves or Attacks, you must select its
Altitude for the Turn. The Aircraft will keep this Altitude
throughout its Turn and until the start of its next Turn.

As for having to roll for Ridge Evasion page 14 says:

Aircraft at Low Altitude must roll for Ridge Evasion each time
they enter a Hex edge with a Ridge during their movement. Do
not roll for a Ridge that the Aircraft starts its turn on top of.

The point below is not what the OP was asking... sorry about that!

SEE the image example (top of page 15) for crossing a RIDGE with aircraft starting ON the ridge at low altitude. So, yes from your example you would have to roll for ridge evasion IF you start out your turn at LOW altitude. It doesn't matter that you ended your last turn at High Altitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Parker
msg tools
James,

Thanks for replying. However it is still not clear from the rules. When I started reading the rules and the FAQ file before I bought the game, slowly but surely everything came together. It is just that bits and pieces that are important are scattered in the rule book. And this question in OP has never been asked so I may have missed something obvious in the rules.

The page 15 example is a good one to help explain the situation I brought up. However have Thor at high altitude in its current position and the hex he's pointing to be a plain hex with no ridges and contain an enemy unit. On this current loiter (after drawing a bandit for high alt) You bring Thor to low altitude first. Now back to the questions in OP.

Your answer actually makes sense but it is not clear from rules unless "they enter a Hex edge with a Ridge during their movement" includes moving to low altitude. If that is the case that's fine its just not clear.

Also just wanted to say I think if the rules had a few definitions and key terms at the start of the loiter section would have helped out a bunch. Because the bits "shortest path" and "from center of hex to center of hex" really help and once a newbie understands that aircraft and enemies are always actually just in the hex and moving anything to the edge is just for remembering stuff all becomes great.

Thanks again,
Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I think the rules for ridge evasions are quite clear: if you start on a ridge you don't roll for ridge evasion. Changing altitude is not movement.

What you're saying in your original post is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Parker
msg tools
Ok. I had actually misread James's reply so it is quite clear. Good then. Now I just have to not forget stuff while playing.

Thanks James and Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for any confusion... I just looked at the RULES again and on page 14 (missed this beforewhistle) under the title of Moving and Ridges; it has an image example just under where it says:

Aircraft at Low Altitude must roll for Ridge Evasion each time
they enter a Hex edge with a Ridge during their movement. Do
not roll for a Ridge that the Aircraft starts its turn on top of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.